Tonal Studies and Composition Challenge

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Tonal Studies and Composition Challenge

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 173 total)
  • Author
    GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Day 43, charcoal on Canson 9×12 block paper

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Day 44, charcoal on 9×12 drawing block paper. Another seascape subject,  exercise in organizing value groups and value ranges. I liked it better than one from yesterday. I find it more challenging when working with this kind of subject, with natural mostly abstract shapes. The value groups seem to be easier to organize when working with man made, geometric shapes.

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Day 45, charcoal on 9×12 block paper.

I am tired of sea scapes, this is the last one, for a while. Again tried to create a composition with managed value groups and value ranges. I do two value matrix combinations and then three value matrix, determine value ranges for all the value zones. But then once I get to the drawing, I often struggle to create distinct value zones despite the fact that I believe I understand what I need to.

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Day 46, 9×12 block, charcoal pencil. Not much but I made it.

JessicaJessica
    Participant
    No points.

These are really great! My eyes are caught by the contrasts and travel around the whole picture. 🙂

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Thank you Jessica, It is nice to hear a feedback!

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Day 47, charcoal on 9×12 paper. I am again having a problem trying to post, I have been trying for almost 30 minutes. It just gets stuck in “processing” mode and doesn’t go anywhere. This keeps happening every little while.

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Day 48, pencil sketch on 9×12 paper. I did not menage to finish it off today, I just laid it out and will complete it tomorrow.

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Day 49, graphite pencil on 9×12 block paper. Just finished the drawing I started yesterday.

Donatella Taghetti
    Participant
    No points.

this is a beautifull drow!! i do not know much about this tecnic but u are doing a great job :-)))

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Donatella thank you for taking the time to view my posts and providing me with words of encouragement!

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Day 50, 2B graphite pencil and Col-Erase Black pencil on 9×12 block paper. Not totally happy with it, I found the pencils I used to be very labouring in order to achieve desired tonal range. Lots of work and still didn’t manage to get what I wanted. I wish I did it with charcoal but then there are too many small shapes and charcoal does not work well on small stuff, not for me anyways. Perhaps softer pencil, maybe 4B would have been better. Next time 🙂

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by GordanKnezic.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by GordanKnezic.
    GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Day 51, 4B charcoal pencil on 9×12 block paper

erikdenneserikdennes
    Participant
    No points.

Nice job.  You are getting better at separating your values into clear zones and managing the range of contrast in each zone.  Looks good.

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Thanks Erik!

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 173 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.