Tonal Studies and Composition Challenge

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Tonal Studies and Composition Challenge

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 173 total)
  • Author
    GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Hi Christopher , thank you for your comment. It depends, if I see than I can enhance composition I do change the value, but for the most part I do stay true to the reference values.

Yes I do occasionally draw the same subject in several matrix sketches with changing tonal keys. Admittedly I don’t do it frequently enough as I should.

Day 85, charcoal pencil on 9×12 paper.

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Day 86, graphite on 9×12 block.

This turned out to be more difficult than it looked. It was very hard to show subtle tonal differences, reflected light. Would have been much easier to do it in color than monochromatic scheme with graphite, and especially when is done in a small drawing size.

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Day 87, charcoal on 9×12 block. Scene from one of my trips to northern Ontario wilderness.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by GordanKnezic.
    GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Day 88, not much, my try to make something that turned into nothing.

It is somewhat humiliating to post work you normally wouldn’t want to show to anyone.

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Day 89.

I am feeling very tired and lacking ideas what to do which shows in my work in the last couple of days. This is another sketch that is not much to see, but in the spirit of 100 day challenge this is what I did and that is posted.

I am thinking maybe tomorrow I will try with old masters work copy and analysis. Either way I need some change since I am running out of steam.

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Day 90, 9×12 block, charcoal pencil.

Study of John Singer Sargent’s painting. I find quite amazing his placement of shapes in compositional sense. Location of large columns, archesd etc. is planned, nothing is accidental. The picture plane is divided with plan and purpose. It was was fun discovering it all while drawing.

I did muddy the drawing a bit after introducing the values. Probably a graphite would have been better option.

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Day 91, graphite on 9×12 paper

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Day 92, pencil on 9×12 paper. I don’t think I did particularly good job describing the forms on sunlit desert mountains. The reference was very tough to read, very little tonal variation.

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Day 93, graphite on 9×12 block paper.

erikdenneserikdennes
    Participant
    No points.

I really like your last couple of posts.  I disagree about your not describing the form well on the desert mountains.  I think they read quite clearly.

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Thank you very much Erik! I suppose we are all more critical of our own work.

I think switching from charcoal to graphite made a difference.

Depending on subject one medium is better then another in describing forms and creating a mood. Charcoal is better I feel when describing strong contrasts with big and simple shapes. Graphite much better for subtle tonal differences in mid value range. That is my thinking anyways.

Day 94, graphite on 9×12 paper

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Day 95, graphite on 9×12 block paper.

This was challenging since most of the values are in mid range due to overcast day. I tried to push contrast in a foreground as best as I could. This is the way it turned out.

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Day 96, 9×12 paper, graphite

Background not too bad but I did not manage to make foreground convincing enough, at least in my opinion.

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Day 97, back to charcoal pencil.

erikdenneserikdennes
    Participant
    No points.

You are running for the finish line!  All of the drawings in the last week have been really great.  Hope you are happy with them and your progress.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 173 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.