Tonal Studies and Composition Challenge

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Tonal Studies and Composition Challenge

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 173 total)
  • Author
    GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Hi Shazad,

Thank you for your comment! When drawing anything and especially man made objects I always use linear perspective. One of the first things I do before starting to draw Is determining the location of horizon line, eye line, vanishing points, canter of vision, cone of vision. I don’t measure for any of it, but notionally just make sure I am conscious of their location. Next is compositionally pleasing division of drawing space, and drawing and aranging all the motif shapes in fitting perspective.

I hope this answers your question.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by GordanKnezic.
    Shazad Madon
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Yes it does. Thanks very much!

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Day 22, pencil on 9×12 block paper

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Day 23; motif from Greece; Wolff’s Carbon and charcoal pencil on 9×12 block paper.

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Day 24, Wolff’s Carbon and charcoal pencil on 9×12 printing paper. View of table and chairs on my deck today, enjoyable sunny afternoon.

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Day 25, pencil on printing paper, again at my deck this afternoon

Carlise Azmitia
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Beautiful work and progress, Gordan!

Eden
    Participant
    No points.

Wow, I love your drawings! The one on day 14 is particularly interesting. I love the way you draw.

Jenny
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Beautiful drawings! Love your tones and compositions. They are very inspiring!

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Thank you Carlise Azmitia, Eden and Jenny for taking the time viewing my work and on your encouragement, I appreciate that!

UmerUmer
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Great Stuff and good luck Gordon. Also thank you for sharing and motivating.

Dear Gordon, I am also attending composition classes by Bill Perkins. I have a question which has been pinching me for few weeks now:

Minor keys are about contrast. I wanted to know that should the contrasting values (lightest light and darkest dark) lie side by side or they can be anywhere in the picture and they can set the Minor key.

For example, the face has lightest light (white) surrounded by medium values (Grays) until the coat which is darkest dark (black). The two values are physically far apart with medium values in between. Will the Minor Key be High or Medium?

@Joushua Jacobo, if you can also add, I will be grateful. Thank you.

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Thank you Umer, I wish you good luck too!

Minor key is about range of contrast while Major key is about proportion of contrast, black to white. Contrasting values can be anywhere on a picture. The face situation you described is a High Minor Key. If you have the darkest dark and the lightest light values on a picture that is a High Minor Key regardless if these values are side by side.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by GordanKnezic.
    UmerUmer
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank You Gordon. 🙂

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Day 26, charcoal on printing paper, historic old house in Serbia

UmerUmer
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Very Nice Gordon.
    My Guess: Major Key–> High, Minor Key –> High

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 173 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.