Tonal Studies and Composition Challenge

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Tonal Studies and Composition Challenge

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 173 total)
  • Author
    GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Hello There!

I just went for the second time through Bill Perkins’s course on Composition, love the eye opening content and especially Bill’s style of teaching. Now newly acquired knowledge doesn’t stick around for too long unless is reconfirmed and practised. So I thought I am going to challenge myself to draw for the next 100 days with particular focus on visual design and composition. I will use mostly graphite and charcoal and subjects will vary from coping and analyzing old masters work to my own motifs and designs.

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Isaac Levitan's painting

JJJJ
    Participant
    No points.

I have a painting teacher who mentioned how much tonal studies can improve ones approach to painting and composition. I think you’re off to a very good start. Excited to see where this one goes!

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Thank you for your comment JJ!

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Nice work! I would focus on getting clearer masses (Zones) of value. The will help give the piece a clearer read.

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Joshua thank you for your comment! That is my intent, but it just seem that my mind is stuck in a parallel world. I understand what I need to do, but somehow manage not do it. That is my challenge!

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Drawing #4; (11″ x 9″) paper, drawn with Willow Charcoal stick

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

day 5, 9×11, charcoal pencil

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Day 6, charcoal pencil, 9″ x 11″ paper. I had a tough time today to pick the subject for drawing. I went through many pictures and just couldn’t find something I liked, at the end I picked J.S. Sargent painting.

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Day 7: Charcoal pencil, 9×11 paper, boat study

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Day 8, charcoal pencil on printing paper

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Day 9, charcoal pencil on printing paper. I didn’t accomplish what I intended, but nevertheless this is what the result is.

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Day 10, pencil on printing paper. Not much of anything today, just a quick study of a boat structure.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 173 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.