Raven’s 100 Day Foundations Challenge

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Raven’s 100 Day Foundations Challenge

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 174 total)
  • Author
    Raven KushnerRaven Kushner
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 71

Today I was thinking about art and beauty. Both are so subjective. Art is in the eye of the beholder. That’s why you can never become attached to what people think, good or bad. That’s why I tend to be more of an appreciator than a critic – there’s so much more joy for me in that.

Today I worked on another master study sketch – Hokusai again. I only got through a portion of it today. But it’s very interesting that even that small portion looks like its own composition.  That’s very instructional!

I also tried my hand at a watercolor. I’m not impressed.  But, I’m just getting started. They will be beautiful in time!

Hokusai

Texas road

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 72

Today I worked a little more on watercolor mini head portraits and the master’s copy. It’s really hard for me to work small, but it’s good discipline I think.

watercolor

Hokusai

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 73

This is the last of my Hokusai study. Yay! I’m going to try a Gibson before deciding which 3 I want to focus on. I don’t think I’m going to join the contest this time. I really just like doing the projects as exercises, and looking at other people’s submissions. I don’t get much out of participating myself.

It’s daunting to think of doing any of these drawings again, but I’m curious to see if they’ll turn out better the second or third time.

Hokusai

JanJan
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Your master studies are starting off great, and I love the colors and energy in the mini watercolor head portrait. Watercolor and ink are difficult, and I admire how you always push yourself. I’m not sure I’m going to have time to do the challenge this month, but I’ve done master studies in the past and found them extremely valuable. I downloaded the references so that I can attempt them after the first of the year. Also, thank you for your comment on my self-portrait! I posted a reply on my thread. Good luck with the challenge!

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks, Jan! I’m not planning on doing the masters contest this time. I had to admit to myself that I don’t really get much out of it. But I love the challenge, so, like you, I’m doing it on my own. I’m also starting coaching this month, so I think that’s plenty!

JanJan
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Raven! I must have been typing at the same type you were posting your previous reply because I didn’t catch that you were skipping the challenge. I agree with you that I like doing the projects as exercises and also looking at other people’s submissions. I learn a lot from their process photos too. That’s something I started doing awhile back and found it useful, and I find it valuable to be able to see how others progress through their own pieces. Another thing that has been particularly beneficial to me is treating some of the NMA classes like “live master studies” and following along with each stroke as the instructor works. I love following Iliya especially and listening to him talk about how he makes decisions as he moves around the piece. Also, how exciting to be starting coaching! I look forward to seeing your progress!

Vera Coberley
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Love your Hokusai inks! If you actually complete 3 master studies, why not participate in the official challenge? Competition raises the bar for everyone (in a good sense). And not to get all gender-activist, but in the November challenge, there was only one female winner out of 9 total, so it would be nice to see some strong female entries. 🙂 It’s your choice of course. Great job on nearing the finish line for the 100! I might ping you in a few months to see how the coaching goes; I’ve been thinking about it, but I’m not sure how much I’ll get for the money.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi, Vera,

Thanks! Yes, feel free to ping me to see how the coaching is going. I will also post about it in my blog and a little bit here. http://www.ravensfineart.wordpress.com.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 74

Today I listened to the Watercolor portrait drawing class a bit and worked on my Russian drawing class assignment, which is the shoulder girdle from several angles. I was only able to complete one. So, I’ll work on the next two over the next two days, then get back to Masters studies. I think Gibson is next on my list.

shoulder girdle

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 75

Today I did a bit of the watercolor portrait class and finished the side view of the shoulder girdle. Now, one more view. I fantasize about how much I could get done if I didn’t have to work!

shoulder girdle

TimTim
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Raven

Wowzer this must have taken hours really lovely drawing  amazing how you keep up your output .

Best wishes

Tim

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi, Tim!

Thank you! Actually, this one I completed in one session. I think because it was the 2nd time doing it, it went faster. Also I “cheated” by shading the whole thing in a base tone and then just snatched out the highlights and rubbed in the darks. That made it go faster. I’ve got one more angle to do. So, we’ll see if I just liked this angle, or if it does get easier the more times you draw the same thing.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 76

Today I felt like dibble-dabbling in my watercolors. I’m not so good at that yet, but this attempt was better than my last one, so I’m happy.

watercolor portraits

watercolor portrait

TimTim
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Oh they are nice lovely water colour

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi, Tim,

Thank you! 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 174 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.