Raven’s 100 Day Foundations Challenge

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Raven’s 100 Day Foundations Challenge

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 174 total)
  • Author
    Raven KushnerRaven Kushner
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 77

Today, work and appointments kept me from a longer session. So I did some quick sketches on some scrap newsprint. I love doing “disposable” art because it frees you to play without worrying about having to see ugly art again (except on here, of course! :)). Looking forward to meeting my coach tomorrow and planning the next 6 months!

sketch 1

sketch 2

sketch 3

sketch 4

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 78

Finally finished with the shoulder girdle! This one did take a few hours, between 4 and 5, spaced out over the day. I know that drawing is my strength over painting. There’s always the debate about what’s better – to accentuate your strengths or focus on pulling up your weaknesses. I’m not sure what I believe, but I’m leaning towards 80% strengths vs. 20% weaknesses in terms of time-focus.

shoulder girdle rear

Vera Coberley
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Strong drawing is a great basis! I’ve generally heard that drawing is the foundation for painting, as it teaches you composition and value management. Color merely represents yet another dimension on top of those skills. If you’ve only painted with watercolors, it might be worth giving a different medium a shot. Water color is problematic because the wet paint is a bad indication of the dried value and color on paper, in addition to all the the unexpected things that can happen when painting wet on wet. Many people recommend that you start painting in grayscale, so you get a hang of the medium and basic mixing before bringing in the color aspect. Supposedly color itself doesn’t matter as much if you get the value of that color right (I’ haven’t tried that hypothesis yet)

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi, Vera,

Thanks for commenting. Yes, I’ve heard that. I’ve painted in watercolor, acrylic, and oil. It’s so fun to play with different mediums! I’ve done more drawing than painting, plus I love the strong contrast of black and white. I’ve done some very colorful works as well, but my drawings look better. I probably just need to practice more. And I love the way grayscale looks, even beyond practice paintings. But I want to stay focused mostly on drawing for now and sneak painting back in in a few weeks. All of it is so much fun!

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 79

Today I finished the neck muscles. While I was drawing, I listened to Ilya’s Q&A video. People asked some great questions!

neck muscles

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 80

Today I followed my coach’s suggestion to do the Ansaro head again. I decided to take on the added challenge of doing an additional angle. I finished the 3/4 angle but only got to the lay-in of the profile angle. I almost always use the 3-D images instead of the photos for reference.

ansaro three quarter

Ansaro profile layin

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 81

I finished the 2nd view of the Ansaro head, which was my own spin on the assignment. I had an excruciating appointment at the dentist this morning, so my morning art routine was violated. Nevertheless, I was able to make up the time in the evening. I’m between coaches for the moment, so I plan to go back to what I was doing, which is whatever I want.

Ansaro profile

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 82

I’m still recovering from dental surgery, so it’s been a rough couple days. Yet, still I had to go to work, so I still did my art! Today I did a half hour of gesture drawing and listened to one of the beginning drawing classes. Life is good.

gesture1

gesture2

gesture3

gesture4

gesture5

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 83

I’m still on the mend, so a few gestures was all I could do. I feel better than yesterday, though, so I’m believing that I’ll be rearing to go by the weekend!

gesture1

gesture2

gesture3

gesture4

gesture5

gesture6

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 84

I felt a little better today, about 85-90%, so I think my prediction that I would be better by the weekend will come true. I rarely get sick, so it feels strange to not feel great. It’s yucky.

Today I listened to the Russian class and have started the portrait. I think this assignment is going to take a while, so I’ll have to switch over to watching a difference class. That way, I won’t get too far ahead in the lessons compared to the assignments. Ilya is my new coach (yay!), and he’s got me in bootcamp, re-doing almost all my past assignments, so those will get posted as I complete them. 🙂

portrait

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 85

Today was about experimentation, play, and mileage, not beauty. As you will see.

pic1

pic2

pic3

TimTim
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Wow you really are working hard Raven , really enjoy seeing your lovely sketches , they inspire me to get drawing .

Best wishes

Tim

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi, Tim,

Thank you! I always appreciate your kind words.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 86

My work in progress for the portrait assignment. I chose one of the alternate pictures as a reference. I’m not fluent in conte pencil. I’ve only used it a couple of times in timed sketches. I added pastel as well. It’s more fun than I thought it would be!

portrait

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 87

Today made me realize how much I miss painting. Slathering on those pastels today, even though it was just a little for the shading and background, was so much fun. Now I definitely know what I’ll be doing next after the 100 day challenge. I don’t know if I’ll make it a formal challenge or just do it, but either way, I miss my oils. I love acrylics too. And pastels. And colored pencil. And watercolor. Let’s face it, I have issues.  I love drawing for the control and structure inherent in the process. And I love painting when I can be loose and free. That’s why I started doing abstracts. It will be interesting to go back to painting with all the realism I’ve been learning in class. In any case, it’s all good. This is my work in progress.

portrait

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 174 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.