Raven’s 100 Day Foundations Challenge

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Raven’s 100 Day Foundations Challenge

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 174 total)
  • Author
    Raven KushnerRaven Kushner
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi, Christopher,

Thank you for the feedback! Yes, my spiritual disciplines help get me back on track when my mind takes me off on weird tangents. I also listen to YouTube podcasts on mindset and success. Even though they are mostly geared toward entrepreneurs, I find them really helpful. Actually, working artists are entrepreneurs usually, so they’re definitely helpful.

Oh, it’s too bad you missed this contest, but I’m sure they’ll keep doing them. Are you on Discord? It’s much easier to give and receive feedback on there.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 22

I love the weekend! It’s so nice to be able to do my art with little thought of time, or needing to get anywhere. I usually do my art before work, so there is always the pressure of having to stop. I can tell I’m really starting to learn because the conversation in my head while I’m drawing is changing. Today, as I was drawing teeth, I asked myself “what is the GESTURE of the teeth?” Wow. I never would have said that before! Today I worked on gesture and my contest drawing.

gesture

skulls

Shravan
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Raven,

I like the way gesture flows through your drawings, really great job!

Marcolino EstuardoMarcolino Estuardo
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Raven. Good job on the bottom figure. It’s an example you should follow: the torso and back leg both are made up of those long-axis lines. More of that. I would say re-do that same one but fix that arm. Compare that limb to the legs and torso.

I forget the book, but it mentions something about the inner dialogue the artists do. What you did, talking about gesture for teeth, is a good way to go about it, rather than criticizing every little thing.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Ram,

Thank you!!

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi, Marcolino, thanks for the feedback.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

I’m closing in on my contest drawing. It’ll be nice to be done. I enjoyed it. But I think I’ve had enough of skulls for the immediate future!

gesture 1

gesture 2

skulls

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 24

I’m reading Concerning the Spiritual in Art by Wasssily Kandinsky, and really loving it. This is my philosophy, but I didn’t realize someone had already articulated this idea in a book. I’ve heard Steve Huston touch on this idea, but that’s it. I’m excited!

If the emotional power of the artist can overwhelm the “how?” and can give free scope to his finer feelings, then art is on the crest of the road by which she will not fail later on to find the “what” she has lost, the “what” which will show the way to the spiritual food of the newly awakened spiritual life. This “what?” will no longer be the material, objective “what” of the former period, but the internal truth of art, the soul without which the body (i.e. the “how”) can never be healthy, whether in an individual or in a whole people. – p. 20

Today I worked on gesture and am fine-tuning my contest drawing. I plan to be finished by tomorrow.

skull 1

skull 2

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 25

Woo hoo! A quarter of the way through the challenge. I’m finally finished with my contest drawing. I will likely tweak it a little bit between now and the deadline, but the major work is done. I continue to do 1 and 2-minute gestures as a warm-up.

gesture 1

gesture 2

skulls

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 26

I am finally done with my skull contest drawing. The only thing I need to do now is mount it on display board, seal it, add the text watermark per the contest instructions, and turn it in. Whew! I’ve never entered an art contest before. The best thing about it was the fun of taking the contest premise and putting my own spin on it. Also, working towards a goal and a deadline was really fun.

Now, I need to go back to Ilya’s class, since I fell behind on his assignments. I need to do both the eye and the lips cast projects. Today, I warmed up with 1-minute gestures, then did Steve Huston’s assignment in Constructive Drawing, which was five 5-minute poses. I was a little disappointed that, when it was his turn, he didn’t actually use the 5 minutes to do the drawing, like Glen always does. He just did some of it and lectured. But I’m really happy to be taking both of these masters’ classes. Hearing the same topic, but in each of their different styles, is really helpful!

gesture 1

gesture 2

gesture 3

skulls

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 27

Today I got up an hour earlier so that I’d have more time to work on my art. I finished my contest drawing by mounting it on board and naming it. I’ll turn it in tonight or tomorrow. I warmed up with gesture, then started my drawing of the cast eye. I decided to use the 3D cast image instead of the reference photo, just for fun. I didn’t/don’t really feel like drawing the body parts, so getting to play with the 3D image – spinning it around, etc. – made it more fun!

gesture

contest drawing

eye

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 28

Today I listened to Steve Huston’s Constructive Drawing class. I’m almost caught up to where I left off (in topic) in Glenn’s Dynamic Gesture Drawing class – shading. Once I get there in Steve’s class, which is soon, I’ll rotate between all my classes. I’m also taking the Russian Drawing class and Color Theory. So I’m really liking the education I’m getting here. Today I worked on the eye cast for the Russian drawing class.

eye

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 29

Today was a glorious day filled with nothing but art. I’m learning a lot from Steve Huston’s Constructive Drawing class. He’s filling in a lot of gaps and missing information for me, which is so great. I also watched a few YouTube videos on how to give a critique. I would like to start being more proactive about giving feedback, rather than just “hearting” everything. I also wrote on my “white board” (actually a piece of large drawing paper on the wall) my art education plan. Today I warmed up with gestures, then finished my eye and lips cast drawings.

gesture 1

gesture 2

gesture 3

lips and eye

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 30

Today I mostly listened to lectures, since time was limited. In my Color Theory class, the instructor went over the idea of Notan, which I had never heard of before. I then looked up “Notan” – a Japanese term for light and dark harmony. Pretty cool. When I was in school, our first painting was black and white, but, at the time, I didn’t have a firm grasp on why we were doing that. It all makes more sense now.

I also got about 35 minutes of gesture drawing in. These are 5 minute, and a 10-minute pose.

gesture 1

gesture 2

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Welcome, Raven! Great work here!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 174 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.