Raven’s 100 Day Foundations Challenge

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Raven’s 100 Day Foundations Challenge

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 174 total)
  • Author
    Raven KushnerRaven Kushner
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you, Joshua! And, by the way, I really appreciate all the helpful tips and comments you drop on here and on Discord. I really get a lot out of what you post.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 31

Usually I listen to lessons first and then draw. Today, I did Steve Huston’s gesture assignment first, then listened to the Russian Academic approach class. My next assignment in the Russian class is the nose, which I’ll start tonight or tomorrow.

The following are 5 minute poses. I did one of the poses a second time because I got a little carried away with the gesture and made him into a hot dog.

gesture 1

gesture 2

gesture 3

gesture 4

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 32

Yesterday, my masters books arrived! I’m not sure how to go about studying the masters exactly, but I’m hoping the folks in the Discord Masters discussion group can help. I’m just planning on thumbing through the whole thing first, then starting at the beginning.

Today I started with 35 minutes of gesture, then watched the Russian Academic class, then worked on the Nose. The gestures are 1, 2, 5, and one 10-minute. I think the 10 minute is the worst because I’ve gotten used to working either quickly or slowly. The in-between is harder to budget – time-wise. I’ve also grown to like the squiggly 1-minute ones. There’s something sweet and artistic about those flowy little figures.

I’ve also been practicing holding my pencil like Glenn, which I cannot really do. I feel awkward and totally out of control. But when I do gesture drawings, I use vine charcoal to start because it forces you to hold the instrument that way. I’m gradually gaining a tiny bit of control in that position. But it mostly feels like an awkward yoga pose.

gesture 1

gesture 2

gesture 3

nose

book 1

book 2

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 33

Woo hoo! A third of the way through! Today I finished the nose and kept going with the gestures. I’m really looking forward to doing some masters studies! Until then Ilya’s Russian Academic class is keeping me busy. I’m planning on focusing just on that class for the next few weeks until I finish.

gesture 1

gesture 2

gesture 3

the nose

Marcolino EstuardoMarcolino Estuardo
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Is this nose cast from life or reference? I love the contrast you’ve added. But, the underside of a nose is usually in reflective light. The value is rather dark. Can you provide the reference?

Good job on getting that Robert Beverly Hale book. You can dispense your other books/videos and stick to that one. It’s the only book you’re ever gonna need these next 4 years. XD 🙂 😉

Absolute fave of mine.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 34

No time to write about it today. Warmed up with gestures, then started the ear.

gesture 1

gesture 2

gesture 3

ear

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 35

Today I’m also short on time, but I always make sure to get my art mileage in. As usual, I warmed up with the gesture drawing video on the site, then continued working on the elusive ear. I’ve started using pen sometimes for the longer gestures (5 minute+). I tend to naturally slow down and draw more carefully when I know I’m stuck with the line! Today’s are 1, 2, 5, and one 10-minute.

gesture 1

gesture 2

gesture 3

ear

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 36

Today the October contest results came out, so I watched that live. I was really disappointed, but that’s life. It was hard to get motivated to do anything afterwards, but, fortunately, art has already become a habit. So I did a few gestures. Later, I’ll continue working on the ear.

gesture 1

gesture 2

gesture 3

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 37

Today, in the morning, I got back in touch with why I felt called to do art in the first place. After not doing as well in the contest as I had hoped, and feeling kinda bad, I needed to recommit to my purpose. I got into art because, for me, it’s a spiritual connection. When I came into the program, I was mostly making abstract art because I feel I can express myself best that way. I came here to improve my craft, and that is what I am committed to doing. Anything that distracts me from that purpose has to be eliminated. I felt really good after my meditation and journaling this morning. And I treated myself to a trip to the art store (more dangerous than going to Target)! I worked on my ear cast drawing after gesture warm-ups. I experimented with mediums and surfaces. Today I used vine charcoal as usual, but I used it in my sketch book instead of on Newsprint. I don’t like using it in my sketch book. I can’t control vine charcoal very well as it is, so trying to do it on a smaller surface didn’t work too well. But I also used my watercolor pencil for the longer poses and that felt nice.

gesture 1

gesture 2

gesture 3

gesture 4

ear

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 38

Today I focused on pencil control. It was only in the last few months that I even heard of the overhand grip for drawing. But, I see that’s how Glenn draws. And this Youtuber I watch also recommends it. So, while I was listening to the Russian Academic class, I practiced drawing random lines with the overhand grip. It’s not hard to do that; it’s hard to actually make the pencil do exactly what I want it to do with that grip. But I embraced the challenge to draw in that position, not worrying about the result. It turned out fine. But what I thought was funny is that, with one of the drawings, I changed from vine charcoal to a regular pencil. And, even though I was still in the overhand grip, I found myself making small wrist movements the way I would normally. So I switched back to vine charcoal, so that that would be the only variable. Once I master the overhand grip with vine charcoal, I’ll try it again with graphite. For my drawing time, I did gestures and finished the ear cast. The next project will be the pre-Renaissance head bust.

gesture 1

gesture 2

gesture 3

ear

JanJan
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Raven! I finally had time to read through your posts. You’ve done a terrific job with your challenge! I really enjoyed your comments, and I can relate to so many of them. I thought your skull challenge submission was a very creative approach to showing your understanding of both anatomy and composition. I also entered a drawing and didn’t win, but I did learn a lot from the livestream critique! Also, you talked about doing master studies. I wanted to mention a podcast on how to study masters that Alex, another impressive NMA participant, told me about it in his response to one of my posts. I found it very worthwhile. Here is the link in case you are interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBm90jgk70w

I look forward to seeing more of your work!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by JanJan.
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi, Jan,

Thank you so much! And thank you for that tip! I really appreciate it. I will definitely check that out.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 39

Election Day cut into my art time, which is every morning from 6 to 10. But I still managed to do some gestures and start my next drawing – as well as cast my vote when they opened. The gestures are 1, 2, and 5-minute. I screwed up because I was actually supposed to do the cadaver drawing next. I think I blocked it out of my mind unconsciously because I feel bad gawking at some poor dead man who got made into a cast for my usage to learn drawing! Nevertheless, I’ll come back to it once I do the Renaissance head. My conscience is a little overactive sometimes.

Gesture 1

gesture 2

gesture 3

renaissance head

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi, Marcolino,

Yes, I’m happy with the books so far. The nose drawing from from a 3D image of a cast. Have a good one!

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 40

Today I was mentally distracted by the implications of the election. It seems clear to me that at least half of my “fellow Americans” are completely indifferent to my safety or well-being. The results are more a matter of identity, I believe, and less about policy, since neither of them will do anything useful. Just – one seems more hell-bent on destruction than the other. But not everyone will be equally affected by that destruction. Some, frankly, will not survive – and half the country yawns and looks away. It’s depressing on a deep level. Art and meditation are the only ways I know how to maintain my own kindness and sanity in the midst of such callousness, violence, hate, and self-destruction.

In any case, I did some gestures and worked on my poor portraits’ eyes for probably an hour. They are still not right, but I’m planning to move on tomorrow to the rest of her plump little face.

gesture 1

gesture 2

gesture 3

gesture 4

portrait

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 174 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.