Peihong’s 100 day Challenge – diving deep into anatomy

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Peihong’s 100 day Challenge – diving deep into anatomy

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 95 total)
  • Author
    PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

I like this. Nice rim lighting. I like the subdued neutral colors throughout with the brilliant colors of the flowers as an accent. Strangely, the flowers don’t look out of place. They integrate very nicely. Nice shapes too. Unusual. When I squint I get a beautiful translucent effect around the outside of the figure. Also, interesting negative shape around the figure. What res are you working?

Ramona
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I haven’t really noticed before, but your challenge is actually really helpful for me, as I also want to focus on anatomy/ figure drawing!

The last one has an interesting concept, I really like it! I’m an anatomy beginner, so I’m not super familiar with it yet, but it might me good to consider adding more muscle texture on the back. The overall shape looks good, but one might want to add some bumps where the scapula is located, as well as to indicate the deltoid muscle. It really helped me to focus on the anatomy of the shoulder girdle to understand the upper body better.

Peihong Jiang Peihong Jiang
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

@pauldidier   Hi Paul, thanks a lot for the feedback!  I was working on just screen size canvas with big brushes so there was almost no detail. And I cropped it

@ramonarosalewski  Thanks Ramona! We are thinking the same. Last night before I went to sleep, I decide to make the shoulder narrower and added a little bit of the muscle texture. While I still don’t want it to be the visual focus, the back slightly more interesting now. But maybe after I got to the back torso part I’ll make it more distinguishable. The only reason why I’m hesitating is that: dude is a ghost, and I want him to have this feeling of ‘vague, exists in one’s memory only, so we don’t see clearly’ (as if I paint my own face without ref, I’d probably be off with details) Where’s that balance tho I have to maybe experiment a little bit more.

I’ll set this thing aside and take another look with a fresh eye in a couple of days.

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Hmm, I thought I posted a comment on this but I don’t see it. I’ll repeat myself. I really like this. Really interesting shapes. The negative space is also very nice. I like how subdued the colors are while the flowers are so rich, yet they don’t seem out of place. Also, when I squint there’s a beautiful translucent quality to the outside of the figure. My main criticism would be the choppiness of the highlight on the top of the left shoulder and the outside of the upper left arm. I get the feeling that a smoother, more elegant indication of light would be more effective. Otherwise, awesome!

Participant
    No badges. No points.

@pauldidier Yep! That crit was right on. Gonna smooth those ^^

Day 16:

Front torso

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Well clearly I screwed up the position of the nipple. it should be lower 😛

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Great work here! It looks like you’re learning a ton!

Participant
    No badges. No points.

@joshuajacobo  I sure did! I’m partly happy and partly surprised by my progress 😛

Day 17:  torso quarter view. I went back to copying plates as complementing information for movement/multiple angles.

If you look closer (I’m sure nobody is looking), I finally sorted out all those bumps on the contour that went missing when I draw from imagination. It’s lats -> Serratus anterior -> obliques. Then also, the opening of the ribcage divides the first segment of the rectus abdominus diagonally in half.

André Girão TaufferAndré Girão Tauffer
    Participant
    No points.

cool drawings!

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

In that drawing the pecs seem to be basically one on plane. In reality from the centerline moving laterally they are facing the front, then turn and angle towards the arm, then as the join the arm the plane again faces forward. So we are missing the transition plane:

____/–sternum—\______

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

These are really good. I especially like the work from today. I need to study more anatomy as well.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

@joshuajacobo Yep. You are absolutely right. I was very concerned about how 9 and 11 and 15 overlaps because I don’t see it on the cadaver, then I didn’t spend time trying to get the curvature of muscle bundle right. My bad. :”D

The Morpho plates have no shade and have subtle lines. I went checking and I think the problem was that there were three bumpy curvature changes at those changing of planes and I didn’t draw that correctly. oops, I think the colored lines are still off a little bit, but I’ll let it go this time.

In case anyone wonders what the plate looks like.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 12 months ago by  Peihong Jiang Peihong Jiang.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by AlexandraAlexandra.
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

@joshuajacobo : yep Joshua, you are absolutely correct. I did mess up the curvature and the details.

^ ok so I made the same old mistake of posting 2 images in one reply.  I originally included an attempt of digital overdrawing.

In case anyone’s wondering what went wrong with my pectoral muscle part, here’s the original plate. The problem was that I didn’t get the curvature of the muscle bundles right. i.e. I didn’t make them wrap around the form correctly.

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

TBH, my critique of your drawing I also have for this plate. The issue starts with the clavicle. It’s drawn straight when it should bend in an S curve (or with a strong body like this more angles like bicycle handles).

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

I don’t want to step on anybody’s toes but there’s actually quite a bit I see that is problematic with this plate. May I ask from where did you get it?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 95 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.