Peihong’s 100 day Challenge – diving deep into anatomy

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Peihong’s 100 day Challenge – diving deep into anatomy

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 95 total)
  • Author
    Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Wow, you’re really bringing a lot of energy to this challenge. You’re right that mileage is key to all of these expertises. Keep going!

Peihong Jiang Peihong Jiang
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks Joshua, I will!

I think today is actually Day 4.

Back of the pelvis, the 2nd half of the assignment.

Still horrendous shading 😀 I think partly is because I’m holding a sketchpad in a non-stable position and I only have one lead holder with I don’t even know what  2B or 4B in it.

Anyways. This is the only drawing I did today.

Thoughts: I found drawing pelvis really helpful. After a night of sleep, I have a much better 3D model of it in my head like never before. Before this drawing assignment, I felt like ‘yeah I know what a pelvis looks like.’ Well guess what, until I draw it several times, I really don’t.

Lucas a.k.a Lucas a.k.a “Roams”
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

hey i think if u stick to one image per post it doesent have an issue with uploading thats what i have noticed anyway. so if u did a couple pages try posting the pics seperate and see if that works 🙂

Laura EspinosaLaura Espinosa
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Good drawing! I like how it looks in toned paper.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 5

Today I’m a bit tired to start a fully rendered ribcage, I did watch the demo and maybe I’ll do it tomorrow. So I took it easy and copied some drawings from Morpho.

I’m not trying to get everything super accurate in its form but I learned that the female pelvis is wider than the male one. And measured their proportions of height relative to width. Then a abstracted volume of the pelvis, together with a demo of how pelvis fits underneath the flesh. I found it very helpful.

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Really nice work. Looks like you’re using Gottfriend Bammes’ pelvis conception. Keep going!

Participant
    No badges. No points.

day 6

The male counterpart of yesterday’s copy. I used the pink circle to point out the important bumps in photoshop.

Then I started the ribcage assignment from the Russian Drawing course. I’ll render it tomorrow.

I find doing fundamentals requires a tremendous amount of, emm, motivation and self-discipline? But I have learned a lot! I started to understand where those bump comes from now.

Here’s something fun but not what I’m supposed to do :P.  A texture cube I painted in photoshop.

Josseline JeriaJosseline Jeria
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Great studies Peihong! How are you getting along with the course? I’m about to finish the geometric forms section (before the light and tone part). The sheer volume of all the assigment work for the beginning section was high! But it pays off.

Josseline JeriaJosseline Jeria
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Great studies Peihong! How are you getting along with the course? I’m about to finish the geometric forms section (before the light and tone part). The sheer volume of all the assigment work for the beginning section was high! But it pays off. Ohhh Perkin’s course! One of my favourite’s I’ve done on here. Those timed colour exercises were tough! I did them in oil, felt like speed painting, haha. They are such a valuable exercise

Participant
    No badges. No points.

@josselinejeria I skipped the earlier part of the course b/c in my childhood I received some basic training in drawing sight-size geometry casts and objects the Russian style (I lived in China when I was a kid until I moved to US for higher ed). Maybe I should go back to that at some point. And I agree with you that the homework assignment is a lot. (And I don’t get to do the fun, creative stuff) But I think mileage really matters!

I’ll write this down to remind myself: I want to be creative and draw/paint what’s in my head. But then usually it doesn’t look like the way I want them to look like. I think it is a technique issue, and there’s no other way than practicing the fundamentals and do some studies day after day.

Usually on social media: nobody ever looks at fundamental studies. The encouragement and construct crit I received from the forum is really really helpful. <3

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 7:

I used a 6B pencil, now the only pencil I have at home. Hopefully Amazon gets my pencil delivered on Wednesday.

Also dug out my drawing board 😀 And I learned that my sketchbook has no teeth and does not hold graphite well. but since I’ll move in a couple of month, I will not buy more art supplies so just, you know, deal with it.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

take two. The left side was missing a chunk of darker value.

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Beautiful work on that rib cage. Note about the male pelvis. The ischium would be closer to the center line of the body (narrower)

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks Joshua! I’ll draw some more pelvis tomorrow.

Can’t believe it is day 8 already. Have a meeting tomorrow so I’m in a rush today. (Rendering is challenging as usual). but I still learned the relative positions of the ribs front vs back.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Also me critic myself: (1) next make a bigger drawing (yesterday was much easier to render b/c the drawing is 2x in size), group the ribs and the gaps’ value more tightly in the bottom left region, use a sharper and harder pencil, leave the shallow halftone out, because it is really hard to lift anything out of this toned paper :p (2) the turning of the ribs towards the backplane is almost lost on my drawing.  That’s the biggest shape mistake.

till next time!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 95 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.