Peihong’s 100 day Challenge – diving deep into anatomy

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Peihong’s 100 day Challenge – diving deep into anatomy

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 95 total)
  • Author
     Peihong Jiang Peihong Jiang
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I want to study the morphology of body parts so that I can draw from imagination freely one day. Be able to grasp how certain muscle group changes their shape/bone reference points from different angles.

Here’s what I drew from imagination(today is April 13 2020) But of course, over the next 100 days I won’t be — b/c I’ll make mistakes that I won’t be aware of. Let’s see how far I can get…

I’ll spend most time drawing on paper. but sometimes I’ll use procreate on iPad or my Wacom drawing tablet to switch things up.

This challenge is also a way for me to getting over being too nervous about posting my works on the internet.

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Nice drawing. I’m also drawing from imagination for my challenge. I look forward to seeing more from you. 👍🏼

Josseline JeriaJosseline Jeria
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Peihong and welcome. That’s a great challenge you’ve set for yourself, looking foward to seeing your posts. I like this drawing. Draws my eye in and good sense of movement.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks Paul and Josseline! I’ll keep practicing!

04/14/2020

I own several anatomy books. But owning books doesn’t mean I’ve taken my time to learn from them.

I decide to tackle parts of the body one after another.

Last year I spent lots of time doing gesture drawings (pic ref and live model) and improved a lot on the flow. But when it comes to ‘where is that lump and bump, which muscle group causes that?’ my brain just goes blank.

Ok. So I intend to first study Michel Lauricella’s book morpho, copy some of its drawings, and then use reference photos to deepen that understanding. [Then maybe later adds Bridgman in as well, since Bridgeman is great on how to group the muscle groups into geometric masses. but it is confusing for learning anatomy]

This is page 76 from morpho: interlock the torso onto the pelvis. Female.

Then I did some drawing of the torso using reference photos.

I think I’ll spend at least 3 more days on torsos.

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

I recommend you do Rey Bustos’s anatomy course on our site: Rey’s Anatomy. If you’re able also do his Build your own echorche in Clay. Another great course for this is Iliya Mirochnik’s Russian Academic drawing course. You can also use many of the anatomy resources on our 3D area.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks for the recommendation Joshua, I just watched some videos and it’s very helpful. On top of that I need to do lots, and lots, and lots of drawing. :’D. Knowing that it’s there doesn’t mean I can draw it from memory.

I do have some super sculpey at home. So I’ll consider doing Echorche.

Well let’s see how far I can get.

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

These are really nice. Your first post was really excellent from imagination. What books do you have that you intend to study from?

Lucas a.k.a Lucas a.k.a “Roams”
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

awesome little studies. im looking forward to seeing more

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 2.

Forgive me if I am posting this twice because the first one is not showing up.

Today I reminded and per Jacobo’s suggestion. I watched the pelvis part of the Russian drawing course.

Take away: Slow down and take my time. Don’t try to draw the same speed as Illya does. I am not as skillful yet. The rendering needs improvement. and also stop eyeballing stuff and measure the proportions.

Also a study from ref photo. The point I wanted to remember is that the pec muscle meets abs at the bottom of the sternum. Pec muscles are difficult to draw in the sense that I want them to be rigid enough so it is muscular, but not too soft so it looks like female chests.

Trouble posting. Then I learned it is better to use a single image…Please help me remove duplicate post it that hppens.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks for the kind words Paul and Lucas!

Paul : I own a copy of morpho by Michel Lauricella. It is not an anatomy encyclopedia but it has some of the muscle underneath skin drawing with various movements that are really helpful.

I’m watching Illya’s Russain drawing course as well. I also intend to do some master copy in order to learn the conscious choice they make.

disclaimer: I’m probably in square 1.5 right now for anatomy knowledge. So some of my approaches may not be helpful to you. YMMV 😀

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks for the kind words!

Per Jacobo’s suggestion, I watched the Russian Drawing course pelvis part. And did half of the homework.

Well. I guess the takeaway is this: I am not as experienced as Iliya Mirochnik on constructing the shapes and rendering. So don’t try to go the same speed with the demo ever again. slow down. 😀

The shading of some of the curvature is meh. so tomorrow I’ll try the other half of the assignment. Draw from another angle.

04/15/2020

And then one more study from the photo. I learned today that the pectoral muscle ends in the same position as the sternum does. For me pectoral muscles are hard to draw. They are pentagonal shaped but still has a curvature to it. but if I try to get the curvature it sometimes ends up being too ’round and soft’ it feels less muscular and ‘powerful’ but more like female boobs.

Welp. Save that problem for tomorrow. I’ll try to find some pectoral muscle in masters’ paintings and see how they handle it.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 2.

Forgive me if I am posting this twice because the first one is not showing up.

Today I reminded and per Jacobo’s suggestion. I watched the pelvis part of the Russian drawing course and did half of the homework.

Take away: Slow down and take my time. Don’t try to draw the same speed as Illya does. I am not as skillful yet. The rendering needs improvement. And measure the proportions.

Also a study from ref photo. The point I wanted to remember is that the pec muscle meets abs at the bottom of the sternum. Pec muscles are difficult to draw in the sense that I want them to be rigid enough so it is muscular, but not too soft so it looks like female chests.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

To spice things up. Here’s a 30 minutes assignment from Bill Perkin’s color boot camp. He’s painting in oil, I did it on my iPad with procreate.

It’s better than what I thought it would be as I have never done potrait painting before. The nose structure is not good. In 3o minutes I should have defined the planes more clearly. (comparing to diving into details with a small brush size.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

ok sorry about the duplicate posts I’ll try to wait longer for them to show up. If admin sees this perhaps help me taking them down?

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Peihong, very cool stuff! I especially like your drawing of the pelvis. Good angle and it feels so solid. Nice Procreate study.

Don’t worry about posting twice. I’ve had that happen a few times. It’s hard to tell if your images are going to appear when it takes a while. I’m anxious to get my days work up each day so when the images don’t appear after a couple of hours I just post them again.

Thanks for the feedback on my work. I really appreciate it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 95 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.