Kelsey’s 100 Day Challenge: Foundations

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Kelsey’s 100 Day Challenge: Foundations

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 130 total)
  • Author
    Kelsey Wood (Bezaire)
    Participant
    No points.

Day 64:

After a few more sketches, finally started blocking in and sketching on A4 watercolour paper. Lots of things to fix and finish up before adding paint.

Kelsey Wood (Bezaire)
    Participant
    No points.

Day 65:

I noticed that I hadn’t posted one of my daily drawings from my vacation. I found this funny card while travelling and got it for a friend. Since the inside was blank I drew a sloth for her. She loves sloths!

Kelsey Wood (Bezaire)
    Participant
    No points.

Day 66:

Today I meant to start painting, but got caught up in fixing anatomy and blocking in the shadows. I’ll erase most of the shading before I put down paint, but I want to get the basics down to understand the lighting. I don’t have a good image showing this dog’s front leg so I need to pull other references and fix that, too.

Kelsey Wood (Bezaire)
    Participant
    No points.

Day 67:

I’ve been very unmotivated to draw lately, especially on vacation, due to the anxiety/distraction wrapped up with a new city and a new position. So today I went back to charcoal (the funnest medium IMO) and sketched an apple I had on hand. I tried to show a bit of the variation in colour but I don’t know how well it came across. Also, all the work I did on the pumpkin watercolour really helped me ‘see’ the angles and irregularities within the apple. Neat!

Kelsey Wood (Bezaire)
    Participant
    No points.

Day 68:

Practiced mixing colours and started working on the dog piece. I hope to finish it this week and get back to lessons and videos. It may be good practice, but my goal was to work on the foundations.

Kelsey Wood (Bezaire)
    Participant
    No points.

Day 69:

A little bit more on the dog. I got worried about shadows on the face so I spent some time sculpting a dog head out of kneadable eraser and using that to check how it fell on the form.

Kelsey Wood (Bezaire)
    Participant
    No points.

Day 70:

This was from a couple days ago…I got a gift box with art supplies and the example art was a hyper-exaggerated piece. I tried to copy the style with a coffee cup subject. It makes no sense, really, but I tried something very different and used new mediums and paper I’ve never worked with, so there’s that.

Kelsey Wood (Bezaire)
    Participant
    No points.

Day 71:

Today my iPad arrived and I purchased Procreate to use for drawing. I just used the default settings for this practice and just did some lines to see how it feels. Also played with pencil speed and pressure settings in the bottom right corner.

Kelsey Wood (Bezaire)
    Participant
    No points.

Day 72:

More practice with basic pencil control on the iPad. I like this pencil texture better (derwent). In the image below, you can see my first attempts on the left and I got a bit better, right, as I figured out how to hold it and move on the screen. I don’t like the feel of the glass so I ordered a paper-texture screen cover.

Kelsey Wood (Bezaire)
    Participant
    No points.

Day 73:

Started working on the skull lesson for the Russian Academic approach. So far my big challenge is in the placement of the nose.

Kelsey Wood (Bezaire)
    Participant
    No points.

Day 74:

Wanted another go at that art supply box I got, but still had skulls on my mind. Drawn from a photo reference with exaggeration.

Kelsey Wood (Bezaire)
    Participant
    No points.

Day 75:

Just a bit more skull work.

Kelsey Wood (Bezaire)
    Participant
    No points.

Day 76:

Figure drawing x1 min, x2 min and a 5min pose. I want to get a bit of lesson time in so practice is shorter today.

Kelsey Wood (Bezaire)
    Participant
    No points.

Day 77:

It was mostly working from Steve’s head drawing course. I love it already. But I also got a matte screen cover for my ipad so I’m not slipping all over the glass. Practice exercises are below. I still have a hard time knowing where to stop with the pencil.

Kelsey Wood (Bezaire)
    Participant
    No points.

Day 78:

A bit more skull work today.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 130 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.