Kelsey’s 100 Day Challenge: Foundations

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Kelsey’s 100 Day Challenge: Foundations

Viewing 10 posts - 121 through 130 (of 130 total)
  • Author
    Kelsey Wood (Bezaire)
    Participant
    No points.

Hi Mirian, and thank you!

Day 92:

Had to rush out the door so I didn’t have time to upload it. Yesterday was figure drawing 1 or 2 min poses poses plus a 5 min (top left). I was very slow!

Kelsey Wood (Bezaire)
    Participant
    No points.

Day 93:

Lessons and notes from Steve’s head drawing tutorial followed by some practice of model Bridgette’s head.

Kelsey Wood (Bezaire)
    Participant
    No points.

Day 94:

Yesterday’s drawing was live charcoal sketch of my plant. The focus was breaking complex organic objects into simple shapes and tried to keep it all proportional.

Kelsey Wood (Bezaire)
    Participant
    No points.

Day 95:

Wanted to see what I remembered from the perspective drawing course, so I tried a one-point perspective based off a park nearby. I’m not sold on doing art on a tablet, but maybe it’s because I’m not sure how to do it.

Kelsey Wood (Bezaire)
    Participant
    No points.

Day 96:

I tried drawing a Gibson Girl, from one of the works by Charles Dana Gibson. I couldn’t recapture her expression. I think it’s the eyes.

Kelsey Wood (Bezaire)
    Participant
    No points.

Day 97:

Kept thinking about eyes, so I decided to start the RA lesson on David’s Eye. I am still very slow about getting proportions and angles correct. I hope this is something that just improves with time and practice.

Kelsey Wood (Bezaire)
    Participant
    No points.

Day 98:

Today’s session was shorter than I’d like, but I still made a bit of progress at least!

Kelsey Wood (Bezaire)
    Participant
    No points.

Day 99:

More of the eye. Tomorrow I’ll be finished with both the eye and the challenge. Wow!

Raven KushnerRaven Kushner
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Woo hoo! Congratulations! How does it feel? How do you think you have grown in the past 100 days?

Kelsey Wood (Bezaire)
    Participant
    No points.

Thanks Raven! It’s a relief to not have a pressure but I am also determined to keep the good habit.

Wow, I made it! I am so grateful for doing this challenge. I certainly wasn’t able to make it every day, but I was much closer to making a true habit of drawing than if I hadn’t done this challenge.

Highlights:

• Started scheduling art time in my calendar.
    • Worked on longer pieces consistently.
    • Explored new mediums and was motivated to finish work.
    • Showed up and worked even when I didn’t feel like it.
    • Really started getting into the Russian Academic approach (love it!)

Challenges:

• Could not actually do every day. I had anticipated that at the beginning because of life events (moving, finishing grad school, etc.) but I was hoping to be more consistent than this.
    • Frustration with lack of progress  – this has much less to do with the challenge than with my own burnout. I had intended on bringing focused effort every day but I mentally could not do that. I think my skill would improve more with better intentional practice.
    • Scheduling: I did not want do art late in the evening, but on some days that was my only alone time. I also felt guilty drawing during work hours when I had things to do.
    • Embarrassment: I had a hard time posting something that I didn’t like or looks/is technically poor.

Day 100:

Finished (?) David’s Eye. I struggled to not get into details on the eyebrow. Got a few tonal issues to correct tomorrow once I can get fresh eyes on it, plus a few more strokes for the background/shadow.

Viewing 10 posts - 121 through 130 (of 130 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.