Kelsey’s 100 Day Challenge: Foundations

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Kelsey’s 100 Day Challenge: Foundations

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 130 total)
  • Author
    Kelsey Wood (Bezaire)
    Participant
    No points.

Day 10:

Quick sketches from photo models (NMA) and animals (via QuickPoses). Includes 2 and 5 min poses for people and 1.5 on animals.

Kelsey Wood (Bezaire)
    Participant
    No points.

Day 11:

Sketching from life: one clementine from three different angles and mediums. I had fun but I’d like to do the same medium for all three angles and just do more. The paper has strong tooth so maybe charcoal isn’t the best pick for it (or I have to use it differently).

Kelsey Wood (Bezaire)
    Participant
    No points.

Day 12:

I got pulled away halfway through my art time, but I still got in some coordination exercises (connect the dots, shading, value scale) and then started some pig sketches. I’ll be doing a little piglet watercolour piece this week and am trying to understand how to draw them.

Kelsey Wood (Bezaire)
    Participant
    No points.

Day 13:

Reviewed some of the lessons from the Russian Academic Drawing course that I started last year and did some pages of connecting the dots and doing tones within the lines. Then I went back and finished yesterday’s goal of sketching pigs.

Christopher
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Kelsey,

these look really nice. 👍 Critique wise I would maybe try to focus a bit more on proportions because some of them look like they got to long torsos. A good way is to look out for negative spaces + angle and distance relationships.

If you want to get familiar with pigs I found it to be helpful to throw in some cross contour lines and specifically watch out for overlapping features/areas to get a feel and sense of their 3 dimensionality.

I’ll definitely check back for the watercolor piece 😁👋

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by Christopher.
    Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Great work. When you’re dealing with any animal try to find that bilateral symmetry wherever possible. Just like in the head or when using the box every point on one side will correspond to another on the opposite side. Use construction lines to find more of those and your animals will feel more dimensional!

Kelsey Wood (Bezaire)
    Participant
    No points.

Good idea, and thanks for the suggestions!

You’re right on the length. I used tracing paper to go over how long it should be from the photo ref using head lengths as a measure. The body should be about three head lengths, not running on four.

Kelsey Wood (Bezaire)
    Participant
    No points.

Day 14:

More practice on blocking in from the Beginning Drawing Atelier book. I’m not done with the block in and have some corrections, but it’s a start. I get very impatient on the middle bits because I don’t really understand what the subject is/what’s going on.

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

The academic approach which you’re showing there isn’t really about “understanding.” In that style it’s an optical approach. You’re just breaking things down into shapes of different values. It’s quite different from what you’re doing with the Vilppu animal content, which is fine but it’s important to realize the fundamental differences of the approaches.

Kelsey Wood (Bezaire)
    Participant
    No points.

Well, I’m hoping my posts from day 15 and 16 show up…I had two pictures each so maybe it’s just taking a minute to go through.

Day 17:

Finished the next lesson from the Composition course. I meant to do the homework but I really wanted to do a breakdown of another Sargent painting. So I did a value study of his Daughters of Edward Darley Boit, 1882. Maybe I see too many horror movies, but it looks like the opening scene for a ghost flick.

Kelsey Wood (Bezaire)
    Participant
    No points.

Day 18:

Yesterday was busy so all I did was some gradient shading practice and quick figure sketches. Here are the figures:

Also, it’s been long enough I think I’ll try reposting day 15 and 16 again but with one photo at a time.

Kelsey Wood (Bezaire)
    Participant
    No points.

Day 15:

Here’s from Day 15… charcoal sketch that took more time than anticipated.

Kelsey Wood (Bezaire)
    Participant
    No points.

Day 16:

Reposting from day 16. Did some quick poses and one longer one, which I’m posting here. After taking this photo I went back and fixed the right leg. The left looks too short but I can’t tell what exactly is wrong anymore. Feedback would be great.

Kelsey Wood (Bezaire)
    Participant
    No points.

Day 20:

Did a watercolour from a photo of a boa I used to own years back. Not sure I like doing ink outlines like this, but I’ll try again sometime and see if a loose sketch approach wouldn’t be better.

Kelsey Wood (Bezaire)
    Participant
    No points.

Actual day 20!

Well I can’t count. Today is day 20… drew some boxes from life using the Russian academic approach (Lesson 3?) and then did an alligator from a photo while being attentive to proportions and angles. I love doing quick gesture sketches but I do need to spend more time focusing on scale.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 130 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.