Kelsey’s 100 Day Challenge: Foundations

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Kelsey’s 100 Day Challenge: Foundations

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 130 total)
  • Author
    Kelsey Wood (Bezaire)
    Participant
    No points.

Day 15:

Quick(ish) charcoal sketch of some things around the room. The figure was much harder than I anticipated and took most of the time I had to do this. Note to self: schedule time carefully.

Kelsey Wood (Bezaire)
    Participant
    No points.

Day 16:

Figure drawing with some shorter and one longer pose.

Kelsey Wood (Bezaire)
    Participant
    No points.

Day 21:

I was so embarrassed by how poor my control is that I really didn’t want to post the practice. I have a bad habit of drawing from my wrist instead of my shoulder so today was really focused on keeping my wrist fixed while making marks. Sometimes I was found myself pivoting from the elbow instead of the shoulder.

Kelsey Wood (Bezaire)
    Participant
    No points.

Day 22:

Today was a little composition study. It’s based on art by Gustave Doré called (I think) Satan Falls. This is probably my last composition for a while since I’m starting up the Russian Academic lessons again and will be doing those assignments next. I really need to build up my technical skills.

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Nice study. I learned a lot from Dore.

iamjakerooiamjakeroo
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

hey Kelsey,

your figure studies are looking great

i especially like your watercolors skills

keep doing your thing

Kelsey Wood (Bezaire)
    Participant
    No points.

Thank you both! Reg. Doré, I love engravings and would like to make art in that style one day. I love how the shading lines tend to curve with the object to imply volume.

Day 23:

Outlined a box and clementine following the Russian Academic measuring approach and then did a quick value fill in. I don’t have knitting needles but I have BBQ skewers and they seem to be working okay so far. Also did a figure study just for the practice. One day I hope to have nice clean lines with deliberately varying weight. :/

Kelsey Wood (Bezaire)
    Participant
    No points.

Day 24:

Just some more review from coursework. I was very careful to move from the shoulder and hold the pencil in the way shown (rather than writing grip). I also alternated directions. Not much to show, but still a good ‘workout’.

Kelsey Wood (Bezaire)
    Participant
    No points.

Day 25:

Practice doing tone/shading in watercolour with Pane’s grey. I had a really nice value scale and then I fussed with it and messed things up. My darks are too uniform now and lost that nice gradient. The bottom clementine was a quick job and the top was a more careful study.

Kelsey Wood (Bezaire)
    Participant
    No points.

Day 26:

I found a little piece of vine charcoal in my broken pieces bin so I used it to do some figure drawings. I almost never use vine charcoal and am so surprised by how hard, messy, and fun it is to play with!

Kelsey Wood (Bezaire)
    Participant
    No points.

Close up of the ‘longer’ sketch (10-15 minutes maybe?).

Kelsey Wood (Bezaire)
    Participant
    No points.

Day 27:

Tried some getting mood across using watercolour. I’ve never done a foggy day before and it was good to try and get that effect. I also did some cones and cylinders from the course and realised I have no idea how to draw from imagination. I’ll post some tomorrow.

Kelsey Wood (Bezaire)
    Participant
    No points.

Day 28:

I am really struggling with cones. I can cut off the top at odd angles but can’t seem to get it to cut off evenly with the base. I have another couple pages of rejects before I did these. Something just isn’t registering. I’ll hack away a bit more and see if I can’t figure out what I’m missing.

Kelsey Wood (Bezaire)
    Participant
    No points.

Day 29:

Finally understood how to construct cones with a parallel top cut after rewatching the videos from Lesson 4 (Russian Academic). I also did some practice drawing from the shoulder with charcoal. I used two different pencils and much prefer the General’s to the Derwent brand. The flat shading was also done with Derwent medium charcoal pencil and it was quite scratchy and came off unevenly.

Kelsey Wood (Bezaire)
    Participant
    No points.

Day 30: 

I don’t know how much more I’ll get to draw today so I’ll post now. I need to fix proportions before returning to the lighting. Work in progress!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 130 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.