100 Day Challenge: Heads and Faces-planes/structure/proportion

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge 100 Day Challenge: Heads and Faces-planes/structure/proportion

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 193 total)
  • Author
    Marcolino EstuardoMarcolino Estuardo
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Michelangelo studies 🙂

theokatzman45
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Ok day 58: this feels like both the low point of the entire challenge thus far, while at the same time hopefully a turning point. I had a very very unproductive Sunday, and I have had it! I talked with my brother about making a schedule because my current time management has just made hours and hours of empty space. Not doing what needs to be done, to this have more time, for of course more efficient and effective drawing time. And a schedule is made! I have to go to bed AT 12:00 if I am going to stick with it tomorrow, I must not compromise if this is going to be successful. It is the only way! So I am taking the loss of being ashamed of how little drawing I’ve done today, and getting to bed early for me now, so that time can be used making tomorrow more effective, thus getting more real drawing done.

I just had to will myself to only finish off with just these 4 min gestures. I feel quite sickened honestly that I managed to waste so much time that this is all I could present. I WILL follow the schedule, and I WILL DRAW.

I did some 250 box challenge boxes, read the lesson and watched the vids again, I didn’t number them yet but I am starting the 250 box challenge! Now I’m accountable lol. I was doing boxes everyday anyway but this is much better, I think I’ve already fixed some errors in my boxes. I did study the book: figure drawing design and invention a bit, but I didn’t even draw the illustrations!!! Argh. The schedule is beginning NOW, this must be the turning point in getting my junk together!!

theokatzman45
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 59: my reaction yesterday may have been a bit extreme lol, but the motivation is needed, today was very productive following an actual schedule! Just Putting the phone away can do wonders.🙌

I think some of these figures turned out pretty good, i tried using the brush pen but I basically used it like my pencil haha. I’m no good at trying to draw directly, but at least I think the pen made me a little more mindful of the mark making… at least some of the time.
    These pictures here do look quite ordinary and boring, but I did do quite a good amount of drawing from imagination today, for my standards, which is fantastic! just to start making random stuff and not worrying about it, and eventually the brain gets going and something  comes!! I feel like each time I draw out of imagination i become a bit more competent in it!!  Lots of fun too, drawing Batman and such haha. But those pages are pretty off the rails and rough so I’ll keep em. :)) try to keep working my brain!

TimTim
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

First two images have great gesture and  movement they are for me the best you have done .

Kind regards

Tim

Maybe the brush helped

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by TimTim.
    theokatzman45
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks so much Tim! That is interesting, I’ll try and use the brush pen more often!

theokatzman45
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 60: forgot to draw the convergence lines on the boxes, I’ll do it tomorrow. I did some of Steve Houston’s head drawing course on expression, wow what a great lecture. Definitely took some serious notes there! This first head page is just a mess ngl. The top is at least based off Leyendecker stuff. And the shading attempts… they just look dirty because I don’t understand light smh 🤦‍♂️. You can’t learn it all at once! In time and effort! I had some fun tonight with some Star Wars.

TimTim
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

That’s so interesting maybe you needed a slight loss of control  they really are lovely ,so energised they could be next to gesture in the dictionary

All the heavy careful work you have done has certainly lead to a super balance of control and freedom

Tim

theokatzman45
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Wow thank you Tim that’s some pretty high praise! 🙏 I appreciate it, and I’ll keep working!

theokatzman45
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 61: while a bit scattered and low on time, there’s certainly some interesting stuff lol! I got to go to bed now, schedule!

looking at it now that dark spot on Vader’s helmet right throws it off I think, whoops, it’s pretty rough anyway lol! Some Halftone might have been good on the cheekbone area. It was a sick reference, if I knew more about shadows and such the lighting was really cool, but oh well

TimTim
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Its working!

theokatzman45
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 62: got off schedule, had a hard time getting into it. I did some master studies with Karl gnass, I can’t remember who they were sorry! But some really beautiful artworks, wish I spent more time on them!! It didn’t go anywhere beyond this point in the lesson, but i really need to be taking stuff like this farther, I need to challenge myself more!!! Just didn’t have the energy, it’ll be better tomorrow. These are real quick, at least for me, 3 min, but I did go a bit over lol. Got confused or something in a few of em, yikes.

gotta go beyond the gesture! While the practice certainly doesn’t hurt, I need to be practicing other aspects, structure, anatomy. I fear I stay in my comfort zone way too much, just doing the same thing. avoiding what’s hard, what I really need to be doing. Don’t know, new challenges every day.

Marcolino EstuardoMarcolino Estuardo
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I think I spent studying gesture/structure for what seems like forever. In terms of challenges, since you have both down, take the time to do 10, 15, 25 min figure studies. Draw the whole figure or a part of it.

I know there’s a pandemic and not much live figure sessions are happening, but if you follow Gallery Girls on Instagram, you can join in on their various Zoom sessions that happen about 4 times a week. It’s good to train, but you gotta put all this into practice. By practice I mean drawing from life. No workshops? Go to a park/street intersection and watch people ALLLLLLL day long. Bored of object drawing? Draw your hand/foot which share the same structures. I like these marker sketches. Perhaps a change of medium is needed.

Best 🙂

theokatzman45
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks for taking the time to reply marcolino! Your advice is super helpful 🙌👌 much appreciated. I’m going to try and get out of the house more!! Just gotta go out.

theokatzman45
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 63: well not according to what I was hoping, I’ve managed to fall further into the abstract today!! And I never got out. But hopefully this has done some good, although being quite unsightly.

Although I can’t go to an in person figure session, there are a ton on YouTube! Or I could go outside lol. The one I did happened to just be 1 min poses, so that was stressful, a bit jarring for me, but I really started getting into it, the time pressure forced me to throw caution to the wind! So this was great to do with the brush pen.

i realize this part should be the warmup, but I don’t know where the time went. I drew for like 4 hours today but this is all I have to show. What happened? Who knows

Is this what I needed to do? I think in some ways it certainly was good. Even though this of course isn’t the same as it would be in person, seeing a moving person take the pose really is amazing, gives lots of insight into the action of it, feeling, the weight.

but then I wanted to draw from life so there are some self portraits that are quite… what the heck why is this so bad?!? it was very difficult for me! With the brush pen, sitting in front of the mirror awkwardly, but those are just lame excuses. Some are quite messed up, my goodness, no going back with the pen, and basically each one looks distinctly different. 😐

I do have to explain that my profile picture isn’t me! Ive been posing as Jack Stratton of Vulfpeck! Why? thought It was funny I guess hahaha, but is that unethical? Lol I’ll change it. My entire presence on NMA is a lie!! Jk plz forgive. Anyway tomorrow I will try and make myself do longer drawings. I have to break free from obscurity!!

theokatzman45
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 64: I think I’m definitely in a rut, not too proud of anything here. but hopefully I can go out life drawing tomorrow and get revitalized! I was watching this new Pixar thing on Disney + about artists, episode 2 was all about exactly what @marcolino was sayin, watching actual people! Finding inspiration by going outside and really focusing on LOOKING and paying attention to everything. And drawing of course! I gotta go out!! Marcolino I thank you again for your advice, I gotta give it a shot.

These are mostly 1 min poses from a YouTube session, quite disappointing, but I did do some 2 and 5 min too but I don’t think those are really here, not going great. Don’t know, it’s just not flowing. I’m tired, hopefully tomorrow will be better.

oh man these two drawings are positioned very awkwardly..

ugggh these last two pages are just cringe inducing.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 193 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.