100 Day Challenge: Heads and Faces-planes/structure/proportion

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge 100 Day Challenge: Heads and Faces-planes/structure/proportion

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 193 total)
  • Author
    theokatzman45
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 65: I did go out into the outside world today, tried to do some drawing, but it didn’t really work out, had a great time being out though.

I decided to just have some fun and sketch some frank Frazzeta. I think the way I’ve been approaching posting on here isn’t necessarily the best, the pressure of it all, but that exactly has been giving me motivation to keep working! Balance is everything

theokatzman45
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 66: just the average practice, so this all is pretty dull. some YouTube figure sessions, the first couple are 1 min but then 2-10? Paused the video a few times lol.

I am however trying to work on drawing from imagination, so that was interesting, it’s coming along pretty well considering, but I don’t have that here. :)) while this kind of practice is good, what I really need to be doing is putting these skills to actual use, life drawing, and imagination. Really want to be drawing something interesting from imagination every day. It’s all too easy to get in a groove of gesture gesture, pose pose face face etc. that basically sums up my whole thread here aahah. hoping to do some more coursework tomorrow.

Marcolino EstuardoMarcolino Estuardo
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Practice comes in the form of life, memory, and imagination drawing. Always change it up and try something new!

theokatzman45
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks man, I’ll certainly try!

Vera Coberley
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Love the black pen/ink poses – very dynamic and expressive!

theokatzman45
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

thanks vera! I’m trying to use it more! it is great fun once you fully accept the loss of control and are able to use it as a strength!

theokatzman45
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 67: kind of got a late start today so there isn’t much great to show, but I did start Steve’s brand new anatomy course and took extensive notes! Some of these later are following along. Some faces at the top here are from imagination lol, not too happy with these heads. Looking forward to this course!!!

theokatzman45
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 68: really lost track of time tonight, got tired, so I basically just got a bunch of gestures. Hopefully I can get into a course or something more interesting tomorrow.

theokatzman45
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

theokatzman45
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 68: it’s a bit sparse for drawings today, I did do some lessons on spirit of the pose though, so that was fantastic. First page is following along. The messy last page is just sketches of other artists, I want to do better master studies of amazing artists like Heinrich kley and jc Leyendecker, very inspiring! Although I know nothing of color or painting jc’s art is absolutely striking, and the form, gesture, story, and composition of it all  is 💯🙌

Christopher
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Mattias,

As usual I’m in love with your gestures 😅 But what I would like to know, because of what I wrote in my thread and your answer, is: What is your general approach or on which principle do you lean towards the most. Do you start with line of actions or rhythmical lines to feel out the action or are you starting with shapes? And who would you say had the most influence on your work and learning until this point?

I hope those questions don’t bother you but after what I wrote I thought it’s interesting to know how others take all these informations and how it influences them compared to just me. I mean there has to be a reason people’s work looks different even though many of us here are learning from the same teachers. So the difference has to be how and what we take out of the given information and I find this to be pretty interesting 😅👋

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by Christopher.
    theokatzman45
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks Christoper! This is certainly an interesting topic. My go to approach is feeling out the rhythms of the figure, focus on gesture and form, usually starting with the upper torso to trunk. sometimes I make the form of the rib cage before getting to the pelvis, but that’s kind of following what Karl gnass and Steve Houston say, you can use one structure to get you to the next gesture, or you can use some form or knowledge of anatomy to influence what you do in the gesture. So I can get distracted, but i usually try to find the rhythms and big actions first.

for instructor influences… it’s hard to pin down one! I’m not totally sure, I’ve studied from books, mike mattesi, but probably my biggest is Steve Houston, I’ve definitely learned most from him in here, I think. But also I think a lot of my gesture understanding has very much come from Glenn vilppu, totally amazing, unfortunately I’m going to have to miss the stream today :(((. It is super interesting how everyone can apply the same principles and have totally different methods! For me, I definitely try to look intently at what the instructor is doing and let that guide my drawing decisions while following along, but I don’t try to copy line for line or something lol. Just try to understand the thinking.

but I think a big part of this is your art influences, the stuff that inspires you, the artworks you draw and study. (See the draftsmen podcast on art parents 🙌)There’s a ton of great artists I love and want to study more!! Thanks for the questions, hope I answered them!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by theokatzman45.
    ianball58ianball58
    Participant
    No points.

I like how dynamic your drawings are and your focus on the shapes of the figure and how they fit together. Seems like you have your eyes set on becoming a Disney animator.

theokatzman45
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

@ianball58 heck yes!! While I don’t know if I would have the persistence and patience needed for animation, it’s super inspiring to me! They are literally making their drawings come to life, so every sketch simply looks alive! I absolutely love the draftsmenship of it, and it’s definitely what I want to continue working towards! 🙌👌 thanks so much for the complements 🙏

theokatzman45
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 69: not too successful at all today, did lots of art related things, but a thing came up, so I lost some drawing time. I went to Marshall Vandruffs Bridgman student work session as an eavesdropper, and wow what a great seminar. and I attempted some Bridgman from the book. These drawings are looking flat!!!! I need perspective!! Boxes boxes boxes!! Planes!! Structure!! That’s what this challenge is SUPPOSED to be about! Jeez. Planes and structure, straights!

the one in the middle… I goofed, and I goofed hard.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 193 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.