Tonal Studies and Composition Challenge

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Tonal Studies and Composition Challenge

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 173 total)
  • Author
    GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Thanks Umer 🙂

I would say Medium Major Key and High Minor Key. Darks and lights are about evenly proportioned, leaning more on light side.

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Day 27, charcoal on printing paper. I tried to do something different.

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Day 28, charcoal on 9×12 drawing block. Did not upload it yesterday because the web site was down due to maintenance.

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Day 29, pencil on printing paper

UmerUmer
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

nice.. successfully pulling the eye inside the barn by using contrast.
    Major: Medium
    Minor:High to Medium

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Thank you Umer!

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Day 30, pencil on printing paper

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Day 31, Col-Erase pencil on 9×12 block paper

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

I did a little more work on yesterday’s sketch. The first one felt washed off and did not read consistent. Have to focus on image matrix, big shapes and connecting the shapes. I start with the right idea on my mind (at least I think so) but along the way struggle staying focused on original idea without getting lost in rendering.

UmerUmer
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

The second image has indeed improved. Good Job.
    My views (No expert opinion):

Major: High Value(Light)

Minor: High Contrast

-> The slanting road on the right and the bright road on the left (both at the bottom) are not helping in leading the eye into the painting. Focal point (shadows on the larger building) is nicely done but the tree trunk darks and the shadow darks are almost same. I think that can be the matrix problem you were pointing to. No clear distinction in value scales

Overall great job and thank you for posting so persistently.

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Thank you for your feedback Umer, I appreciate it!

You are correct about no clear distinction in value scales. I wanted to really push the darks on sides of the buildings to emphasize the strong sun and shadows on building face. Surprisingly that turned out to be not so easy. At the end everything seemed to blend in and look the same. It was a bit frustrating, felt like I am chasing my own tail.

Tree canopy work also needed some refinement. Trees initially looked too light, the branches and leaves were sparse and disconnected from the buildings.

Obviously much more to learn and keep practicing, making mistakes and lots of them! I am looking forward to all of it.

Iliya MirochnikIliya Mirochnik
    Participant
    Instructor Badge
    No points.

Hi Gordan,

I love that you’re doing landscape drawings! I’m including a draw-over where I tried to take your latest piece and simplify the value scheme to create a slightly more dynamic composition, even if it deviates from whatever you were looking at. I think you need to keep doing things exactly as your doing but try to invent a little more and “flatten the tone” a little bit, which basically means to allow shapes to read like shapes and do not allow the mark making to divide them too much. Keep doing what you’re doing, great job!

Iliya

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Iliya I thank you very much for taking the time to review my drawings and provide me with the valuable critique and advice!

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Day 32 pencil on printing paper

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Day 32, charcoal on printing paper

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 173 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.