Tonal Studies and Composition Challenge

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Tonal Studies and Composition Challenge

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 173 total)
  • Author
    Andres CabanosAndres Cabanos
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Wow these are great Gordan. You have a keen sensibility in seeing value which I struggle the most at. The values and light and dark patterns are working nicely, I can imagine seeing these sketches developed further into a painting. I look forward in seeing more of these charcoal landscapes :).

AJAJ
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Great studies Gordon!  They read very well

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Andres and AJ thank you for your nice words of encouragement!

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Day 33, pencil on printing paper. For some reason it would not allow me to post the first time. I hope now it doesn’t come out double posted.

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Day 32, pencil and charcoal on printing paper

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Day 32, pencil and charcoal on printing paper

https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.forum.nma.art/583498/57tgxz2wyjz1bzacr6w7qizgky4f0d7a.jpghttps://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.forum.nma.art/583498/kka9r5yv74uq3a08bokm6djkhecr36cr.jpg

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Day 32 pencil and charcoal on printing paper

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Sorry for all these doubles above. That is from couple of days ago when I was unable to post….I guess two days later everything came out :))

This is for my Day 34, charcoal on printing paper

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Day 35, charcoal on printing paper

Kayin AaronKayin Aaron
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

“That is my intent, but it just seem that my mind is stuck in a parallel world. I understand what I need to do, but somehow manage not do it. That is my challenge!”

That is my deal times 10k.

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

I am with you Kayin Aaron, but as Steve Huston said in one of his interviews “If you are not trying to get better you are going to get worse”. I guess will just have to keep trying and work harder for it. Good luck and don’t loose your hope!

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Day 36, Conte crayon on printing paper. The idea was to try to properly manage values of this fairly complex, more of an abstract subject and have it read properly. I would call it partial success.

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Day 37, charcoal on 9×12 block paper.

I went through all the steps from making several two value matrix compositions, three value matrix to answering all the key questions :

1. Why do you like the motif?

2. What do you want to say about it?

Only then I proceeded with the final work, exactly as Bill Perkins teaches in his course. It was actually lots of fun and I will force myself to go through the same process every time for all the following sketches. It is so easy to just start drawing, triggered by emotional response to the subject and then along the way frequently get lost in rendering and/or end up struggling with value structure.

It was so much fun to feel having a control of what is really that I want to express.

UmerUmer
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Excellent ~ Great Composition and crisp value matrix

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Thank you Umer, that is very kind of you! I appreciate your feedback!

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 173 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.