Myriam’s 100 Days; portrait, heads

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Myriam’s 100 Days; portrait, heads

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 188 total)
  • Author
    MyriamMyriam
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

BIC Cristal ballpoint pen. I like it because you can’t erase anything.

MyriamMyriam
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I’ve drawn myself at 8 years old. I’ve used a mechanical pencil KOH-I-NOOR with a sanguine lead.

Christopher
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Myriam,

like other’s have said I really like that you experiment with different mediums. Even without the references most of your portraits look like they are fairly accurate.

Critique wise I would consider practising structure and value grouping. If you don’t quite know what that means just search for terms like “planes of the head”. For value grouping you could watch Bill Perkins video’s from the beginner course about major and minor keys.

MyriamMyriam
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hallo, Chris,

Thank you for your comment.
    In fact, I did the Bill Perkins course you talk about twice! I love that course!  😊  I don’t understand very well what you mean by value grouping so I’ll take a look at the course again.

Thank you.
    Myriam

Christopher
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hmmm let’s say you finished the line work of a portrait which means you haven’t shaded it yet. If you now start to just separate the parts of the face in light from the parts in shadow that’s basically value grouping. Think of a value scale for example one from 5 (darkest dark) to 0 (white of your paper).

The next step would be to further separate/develope the values inside the light family, therefore light to mid values and inside the shadow family (dark values).

It’s hard to explain the principles just with words but I hope that it’s kind of clarifying.

Knowing some structure and, or the planes of the head would further clarify that process since you would know exactly which part of the face are hit by the light and which not, therefore which parts would be a light, mid or dark value.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by Christopher.
    MyriamMyriam
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi, Chris, yes, it’s very clarifying. I sometimes choose photographs where there are no dark-darks not light-lights and everything is in between. And that’s a problem because I don’t know how to “invent” a dark shadow if I can’t see it. So the final drawing ends quite bland. From 0 to 5, everything is 2, 3 or 4.

I find the planes of the head so boring but I know I have to study them if I want to learn. 😊

Vielen Dank! You’ve been very helpful. 🙏🏼
    Myriam

MyriamMyriam
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

This is Werner Herzog. Graphite.

MyriamMyriam
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hello. Just a thumbnail today.

MyriamMyriam
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Clint Eastwood. Graphite and charcoal.

MyriamMyriam
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

After Nicolai Fechin. He was the best draftsman ever. He used to say that you can’t learn if you copy from a drawing. What amazes me most is that I am pretty sure the model didn’t resemble the final drawing, but who cares.

MyriamMyriam
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hello?  This is my friend Jordi.

MyriamMyriam
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

MyriamMyriam
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

MyriamMyriam
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Bruno Ganz. The eyes are too drawn…it’s like he is wearing some eyeliner

MyriamMyriam
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

From a Chris Legaspi course.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 188 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.