Myriam’s 100 Days; portrait, heads

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Myriam’s 100 Days; portrait, heads

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 188 total)
  • Author
    T. KuusamaT. Kuusama
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Huh, could be the paper then? Maybe do gradations on different papers to test it? Another thing I learned through trial and error is to not lay any hard pencil on the areas where I want deep shadows. I’m really careful to dab all of my ghosting away before rendering. You could experiment with hard over soft vs soft over hard and see if you get different results? If that’s not it either, then I’m stumped and someone wiser should chime in!

MyriamMyriam
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

That’s a very good idea. I’ll do that. I laid the hard pencil first where I wanted the deep shadows. Maybe it is that. I’ll see. Thank you so much! 🙏🏼

MyriamMyriam
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hello!

Today, I went (again) through the “Drawing Facial Expressions with Glenn Vilppu” videos. I love watching the NMA videos and listen to what teachers say. Often, I write the quotes in my sketchbook, some of them are very inspiring. Vilppu is like a Jedi, like watching Yoda moving a magic blade (the pencil)  :), and hearing his teachings is like listening to one of the old big masters, Michelangelo or Da Vinci. I also love listening to Steve Huston, which sounds quite Buddhist sometimes I must say… <3

I used a pencil (B) for these heads. It’s funny because while I am drawing, I think the heads are right. But when I see them after a while, I think they are not right at all. I can see the weirdness in their faces, they don’t even seem nice people to me :D. But this is my contribution for today.

MyriamMyriam
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

MyriamMyriam
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Any critique or advice would be very welcome. Thank you!

MyriamMyriam
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

After “Long Poses in Charcoal” videos, by Steve Huston.

Any critique or advice would be very welcome. Thank you!

MyriamMyriam
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Charcoal. (I don’t know why the shadows look like stripes in the picture. )

MyriamMyriam
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Charcoal.

ZHI SUZHI SU
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Haha, I recognize that face. Nicely done!

MyriamMyriam
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you, ZHI SU! 😅

MyriamMyriam
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hello! This is another messy charcoal. I have always the feeling that I can’t “tame” the charcoal. It’s like it’s always too dark or too grey and I can’t get the bright lights I’m looking for.
    Is this too dark, right?
    Another thing is the paper. Which is the best paper for charcoal? I am using here a 110gr paper, the same I used in the previous drawings.
    As always, any comment or advice would ver VERY welcome. 😊

Be safe!

Jeanette AssiesJeanette Assies
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Myriam, thank you for your nice feedback. I can see you already heading to drawing less and shaping in masses more. FYI, I am member of NMA for my 5th year now and it is only the last 4 weeks that I am taking a different approach in drawing. Like you, I felt my drawings were too detailed and too much worked out. I can give you only 1 advice: keep doing these daily drawings and you will grow into a more mature artist who does not feel like detailing everything. It is all about experience, so draw draw draw! As for charcoal, my experience is try to seperate the ligth planes (the planes in the light) from the shadow planes first. The shadow should be very dark, almost black and the light planes, keep them white, no charcoal. After that you can manipulate the shadow planes a bit with touching it very very very lightly with your fingers on the edges where light meets shadow. You create a kind of half tone like that. Do not add any more charcoal on the light planes untill you are more used to the medium. Otherwise it will get too grey in the light planes and that flattens your drawing.

MyriamMyriam
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi, yes, I know? What is this!? In the photo it was beautiful. My daughter under a tree, the leaves shadows on her face, … but in the drawing they look like stains. But, anyway, this is what I drew today. 😬

MyriamMyriam
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi, Jeanette! Thank you so much. I’ll do as you say. Hopefully I will reach some minimalism and real control.🙏🏼😊

MyriamMyriam
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

About #14, my daughter seems much older, and I see now the nose is not right, nor the lips, nor the chin, nor the left eye,…

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 188 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.