Lucas’s 100 day challenge : all things portraiture :)

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Lucas’s 100 day challenge : all things portraiture :)

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 226 total)
  • Author
    Shazad Madon
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Haha nice one Lucas!

@Cora: You can simply click on the picture and it will open in a new window where you can see it fit to your screen size.

Lucas a.k.a Lucas a.k.a “Roams”
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

thanks Cora and Shazad 🙂

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 21:

just some little sketches today from random references, while watching a few movies. drew with ballpoint pen, fine liner and colouring pencil. the ink is really challenging for me as ive never really done it but its fun and i think ill benefit from it 🙂

Participant
    No badges. No points.

heres the second page

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Hi Lucas. I like what you’re doing here. You’re going for some good expressions. You mentioned you did these while watching a few movies. Did you sketch these from the movies? For years I’ve sketched from films or some tv shows, especially those with good lighting and design. It’s an awesome way to find good faces to watch and to study composition. Freeze some frames from “The Godfather” or “The Third Man” if you want to see some incredible composition and design. Keep up the work, you’re improving!

Participant
    No badges. No points.

thanks man 🙂 nah so these were just from random pics on pinterest. except the dude in the top right corner that was like a quick 1min sketch of a paused movie while i was waiting for my brother to get back haha. but thanks for the tip i will definitely do that 😀

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 22:

just some quick sketches today, nothing serious. just having fun messing around with some colouring pencils.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

day 23:

Gotta admit i was kinda lazy today xD  so only did this one sketch and its not great, her mouth is super wonky. oh and gessoed a few pages in my sketchbook for some little portrait paintings in the coming weeks .

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 24:

tried painting without an underdrawing for the first time today. watched a few of steve hustons videos on painting the head. tried to follow along with on but it turned out a complete mess XD i understand the concept though for sure.

im not amazing with colour yet either i still fumble around for ages tryin to get the right values. was my first time trying the zorn palette also. the seconf painting was from a reference photo from the nma archives. done in acrylics on gessoed paper. i gotta get my hands on some oil paints soon acrylics are annoying me a little bit because theyre not very opaque and it takes so many layers to get a solid coverage.

the camera didnt pick up the colours properly unfortunately 🙁 anyway here they are.

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hello Lucas,

I’m also having problems with adding color, especially to the face. I’ve watched the videos also, and I still find that I just have to experiment a lot until something works. I do find Steve Huston’s advice “different plane, different color” helpful. I also think the idea of yellower forehead, redder/ pinker nose and cheeks, greener side plains near the eyes, and grayer jaws is helpful. I’ve seen a few artists just paint each zone those colors and then blend from there. My goal is to get it figured out over my 100 paintings. Anyway, nice drawings. I can see the progress.

Bryan.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

thanks Bryan,

yeah none of it is easy i guess xD just take patience and lots of practice. we’ll get there 😀

Participant
    No badges. No points.

day 25:

started another painting in my sketchbook today. Here’s as far as i got. acrylics on gessoed paper.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

day 26:

Continued working on the painting today. got the background in and a couple more details on the head aswell as started to block in his armour. i dont think ill take this to a super high level though..im fed up with it to be honest XD

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Keep going man. I see improvement from the ones you did on Day 24. I like the atmospheric background on this one. I can see the illumination on the forehead. I’m trying to get there with my pastel paintings. I like how you are using gesso in your sketchbook. I think I’m going to try that so I can use oil paint to do the backgrounds because it would be a lot faster than using pastels.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

thanks bryan 🙂 do give the gesso on paper a try, i got the idea from watching cesar santos. but the paper in my sketchbook isnt very thick so what i did is glue 2 pages together using some pritt stick to give it a bit more thickness, definitely helps minimise warping

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 226 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.