Lucas’s 100 day challenge : all things portraiture :)

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Lucas’s 100 day challenge : all things portraiture :)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 226 total)
  • Author
    Josseline JeriaJosseline Jeria
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Very cool and good work. On his lower jaw on the shadow side I think it reads a bit too light for it to be within the shadow side. Have you done Mark Westermoe’s section on Plaster casts in the Intro to Drawing course? It is great. He teaches you a good structured approach to doing these studies. Yeah from life is always best. I haven’t tried it yet, but you could look into trying the 3D models on here.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

It might also be me reading the image incorrectly with the eyes. I’m quite new to all this but I try my best. I think sometimes what I see I don’t understand clearly enough what is going on to figure out what can be improved.

Lucas a.k.a Lucas a.k.a “Roams”
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

nope haven’t watched that one yet, will have to check it out one of these days. thanks for the tip. i tried to show the reflected light on his lower jaw, probably should have included the reference image, might be a bit confusing haha.

ah same here, im very new. i used to mainly just draw graffiti lettering and some cartoony stuff. Only started really looking into the more finer side of art about 6 months ago. i have a loooong journey ahead xD.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

You’re welcome. Ah yes that is good that you noticed that. Make sure that your lightest darks aren’t as light as your lightest lights.

That’s cool! My husband has done some graffiti letting and tags too. He uses alcohol markers and posca pens. I started here late October last year. That’s the extent of my fine art learning, so I feel you. haha yes indeed, but that’s the great thing about it – SO much to learn and master. A lifetime worth of learning 🙂

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Hi Lucas,

Nice studies. What are the dimensions of an a4 skecthbook?

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Josseline: that’s awesome, i got a bunch of those markers too lol, probably way too many. spray paint on a wall is for sure the funnest though and its a workout at the same time haha. You’re definitely right there it will never get boring as u can always get better.

Paul: thank you, 21cmWx30cmH or 8.27 × 11.69 inches. however most of the drawings i’ve posted are on newsprint that i cut myself (roughly 40cm x 50cm)

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 4:

did some studies in my sketchbook today. focusing on the structure and form of the nose and eyes.

this one was from charles hu’s video on facial features. done in colouring pencil.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

this one i did from reference. i think it looks horrible xD. also done in colouring pencil.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

these were done from imagination. also colouring pencil.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

this one was done in graphite, from reference. i rendered this one a little bit more. i found the colouring pencil didnt work as well in the sketchbook as on newsprint so i switched to graphite.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 4:

did some studies in my sketchbook on the nose and eyes. really trying to focus on the form and structure. the first one is from charles hu’s video on the facial features, the second from a reference (i personally am not happy with that one at all xD),

the third page was from imagination, and the fourth from reference again, this one i went and rendered a little too.

last one is in graphite, the others in colouring pencil.

LuceroLucero
    No badges. No points.

Beautiful work Lucas. It’s so motivating to watch other artists put daily work into their craft. Congrats.

Ramona HornungRamona Hornung
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I can see that it’s going very well for you Lucas, great work. On the Medici head, the reflected light in the shadow needs to be darker, it competes with the light side. Love to see how your creative flow materialised itself in those concentric circles in the background, I’m sure they were not in the photo reference. ☺️The hair in these casts takes a lot of time indeed, and is so complex, I usually block them in simple light and shape masses, and leave them in that stage, unless I really want to go into it for that specific drawing session .  I’m sure you’ll surprise yourself in 100 days, with the amount of progress you’ve made !

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Nice Lucas,

You’re really putting your time in. It’s going to pay off. It’ll be great seeing your growth in the weeks to come. Have you seen Steve Huston’s video on drawing the head? It’s awesome.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Man you’re putting in the work! Very inspiring to see. Your progress will excel this way – keep it up! Your doing well incorporating Charles’ approach to construction facial features. I found that section super useful.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 226 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.