Jo’s 100 days above the shoulders

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Jo’s 100 days above the shoulders

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 117 total)
  • Author
    Jo SheridanJo Sheridan
    Participant
    No points.

Day 72 – Planes of the head tracing in Photoshop – this is what I was trying to draw on Day 70!

Jo SheridanJo Sheridan
    Participant
    No points.

Day 73 – lots of bad block-ins again today – my Loomis heads simply don’t help, so I went for something much more fluid and fast and stopped stressing over each measurement – I think my observational skills help me out a lot when I work like this, but I am much happier with this outcome. It must be said that my reference has good shadows and the others that I have been working with have been lit with much more diffuse light… anyway – one day I will work out what works for me – but this one goes in the “pretty good” box…

Male head - down tilt

Jo SheridanJo Sheridan
    Participant
    No points.

Day 74 Well I’ve only been on the NMA site for about 10 months – and I actually spotted the course structure .pdf today! – what took me so long… as it turns out I have managed to find the key fundamental courses for most things, but am going to go back now in a structured way and fill in some gaps… So, its an Asaro head tonight – just got as far as the shadows today.

Asaro head

Jo SheridanJo Sheridan
    Participant
    No points.

Day 75 – this feels like a significant landmark – three quarters of the way there – I have amazed myself at how dedicated I have been with this – I guess it must be something to do with really enjoying drawing in the evenings…

Anyway – more work on the Asaro head. I was really pleased with it, until I uploaded it and saw straight away that the top plane of the head is way too light…  and some of the broader shadow areas are too light too… its a game of many parts this drawing thing… 🙂

Asaro head 2

Daniel NorrisDaniel Norris
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Wow! Pages 5/6 are a clear advancement from 1-4. Definite progress. I’m, dare I say it, kind of flabbergasted. (As an aside, I sketched the Proko cowboy too. I was so inspired by Wiestling, I had to do something artistic, immediately, lol!)

Jo SheridanJo Sheridan
    Participant
    No points.

Hi Daniel, that is so great to hear – thanks … I’m sure we all think we are taking one step forwards and two back most of the time! I think one thing that is changing for me are my standards – so if something is clearly off I just now start again… It uses more paper, but you get better results 🙂 I did lol when you said you had also felt the need to draw Stan in his cowboy gear – nice that we are both making use of Proko too.

Jo SheridanJo Sheridan
    Participant
    No points.

Day 76 – Drawing along with Iliya tonight – I really like the way he explains things, but I can’t say I’m massively inspired by spending all this time looking at a cast – its interesting that he is seeing things that simply don’t show up through the video, so there is a bit of working from imagination too.

Cast study - eye

Jo SheridanJo Sheridan
    Participant
    No points.

Day 77 – Only time for a quick sketch tonight – this is actually my son, although you would never recognise him from this sketch!

male face

Jo SheridanJo Sheridan
    Participant
    No points.

Dy 78 – no work today, so plenty of time for drawing – had a lovely day finishing off my eye cast

Eye cast sketch

Jo SheridanJo Sheridan
    Participant
    No points.

Day 79  – moving onto the mouth cast today – work in progress

Mouth cast

JackJack
    Participant
    No points.

Nice work Jo. Good to see someone else on the long road that is Russian Academic Drawing!

Jo SheridanJo Sheridan
    Participant
    No points.

That made me laugh out loud – yes – I have to admit I decided to follow you as I was interested to see where your resources were coming from 🙂

Jo SheridanJo Sheridan
    Participant
    No points.

Day 80 – Modern DVD influences today – been rummaging around in my CD Box Set of Sherlock – inspired to try Lindsay Duncan who I think has the most amazingly expressive mouth – needed more time – as always – but this one blocked in and started off pretty well – difficult as there are virtually no shadows – its all half-tone, which is why it is all so light…Female face - profile

Jo SheridanJo Sheridan
    Participant
    No points.

Day 81Cast study - mouth– Back to my Russian style cast drawing of the mouth – I am finding this process both affirming and also very tricky – I like the underlying process as it suits my cautious style of moving slowly towards the deepest values, but I am finding the lovely linework of Iilya very hard to replicate.

Jo SheridanJo Sheridan
    Participant
    No points.

Day 82 – Today, the nose…

Cast study - nose

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 117 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.