Jo’s 100 days above the shoulders

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Jo’s 100 days above the shoulders

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 117 total)
  • Author
    Kevin DoblerKevin Dobler
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Glad to see you are still enjoying it, and are recognizing the improvement.
    One suggestion for the forum pictures – if you are shooting it with your phone you can do a quick edit to make it look more like you see. I took your latest one and just adjusted the exposure and saturation.
    Unless you are drawing on toned paper, then totally ignore me. 🙂

Jo SheridanJo Sheridan
    Participant
    No points.

Hi Kevin, this is great advice, thank you – can I do that adjustment just on my phone? I have always had trouble getting a good image, and so generally if I’m looking to photograph something for my Instagram for example, I wait until I have some good daylight to take it – these 100 day shots are nearly always taken last thing at night when I run out of time and need to head to my bed, so I am aware they are pretty poor quality…. funny I’ve never really considered adjusting them…

Jo SheridanJo Sheridan
    Participant
    No points.

Day 83 – Very little time today, but I have made a start on the ear cast… I’ll have to wait until the weekend to look into the adjustments that Kevin suggested, so another dark image I’m afraid…

Cast sketch - ear

Jo SheridanJo Sheridan
    Participant
    No points.

Day 84 – think I have finished my ear sketch – and I also had a little play with the editing features on my phone… think I have made this photo look a bit better, but clearly Kevin has just provided me with another interesting visual puzzle to play with  🙂 – I love learning art…

Cast sketch - ear

Kevin DoblerKevin Dobler
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Glad it helped. It makes it much easier to see some of the subtler shading you are doing. Looks good.

Jo SheridanJo Sheridan
    Participant
    No points.

Day 85  Following Iilya into the cadaver study – I love the way he is so excited about this study – and must say I find myself rather drawn to this rather macabre study – this is me about 2 hours in…

Cadaver study

Jo SheridanJo Sheridan
    Participant
    No points.

Day 86 – I have had such a lovely day today sketching along with Iliya – I love the way he talks about art and teaching art, and particularly like how much he loves his pencil sharpener – Thank you so much for this course.

cadaver study

Jo SheridanJo Sheridan
    Participant
    No points.

Day 87 – Well I went back to Lindsay Duncan and tried to use some of my new found skills to make this a bit better… I am not sure I managed it really – everything is a bit better modelled, but I have lost her  likeness and I am not sure I like what I have ended up with at all – this photo is also pretty awful too – even with my attempts to “adjust” it so it looks more like the original  – never mind – out of time today, so it’s time to post – warts and all 🙂

Lindsay Duncan 2

Jo SheridanJo Sheridan
    Participant
    No points.

Day 88 – well I must admit to enjoying this exercise soooo much more than I anticipated – how relaxing is this approach… love it – work in progress

Head study

Jo SheridanJo Sheridan
    Participant
    No points.

Day 89 – well I have given this a few more hours  – I’m so pleased that I’ve got yesterdays finish photograph, as it’s a great comparison to where I have got to today – with this sort of approach you can be forgiven for thinking that nothing is changing – when in fact quite a lot is changing… I haven’t checked to see how much longer there is to go on this lesson – but I think it is probably quite  a while…:)

Head study

JackJack
    Participant
    No points.

Hello Jo, I think you’re improving a great deal under the tutorage of Iliya Mirochnik! I thought the portrait on day 87 was a significant leap forward. Are you finding cast drawing is helping your portraiture?

Jo SheridanJo Sheridan
    Participant
    No points.

Hi Jac, thank you so much for your interest in my progress – I must agree that I am very pleased with my more recent attempts and I do just love Ilyia’s course… I feel like I’m following the right course at the right time which is sometimes hard to do when you are working solo on your art education… As for whether this is going to transform my other drawings or not – it will be exciting to see I think… x

Jo SheridanJo Sheridan
    Participant
    No points.

Day 90 – Well – the comparison is harder to make tonight – but there has been another couple of hours attention on my bust – as Iliya says – its really hard to know when you have reached the end – this may not be as complete as it could be, but its time for me to move on to something else tomorrow.

Head study (3)

Jo SheridanJo Sheridan
    Participant
    No points.

Day 91 – No time tonight, so just a few quick sketches to upload

Quick sketches

Jo SheridanJo Sheridan
    Participant
    No points.

Day 92 – Well I think I finished my bust today, but it didn’t really look much different to my other posts – so I thought I had better move on… I decided to continue to follow Iliya and have started his head anatomy course… stage one – the skull – needs more work as I only just got started on the shadows

Skull

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 117 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.