Jo’s 100 days above the shoulders

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Jo’s 100 days above the shoulders

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 117 total)
  • Author
    Jo SheridanJo Sheridan
    Participant
    No points.

Day 60 – Audrey Tautou – Watched “Coco avant Chanel” last night and wanted to have a go at drawing this actress  – this is work in progress, but I am  quite pleased with it so far

Female face

Jo SheridanJo Sheridan
    Participant
    No points.

Day 61 – Really pleased that I managed to render this one without completely losing the likeness…

Audrey - rendered

JackJack
    Participant
    No points.

Morning Jo, that’s a great portrait. I particularly enjoy the rendering where the eye and nose meet in the corner – subtle but also structural, it gives the portrait a sense of depth. I notice all your eyes are well-drawn, I suspect you’ve made it a particular focus of your practice!

Jo SheridanJo Sheridan
    Participant
    No points.

Hi Jac, thanks for the comments 🙂 – I like this one too… to be honest the main focus of my practice has been to get the facial structure right – I have always struggled to get the eyes small enough to make sense and deep enough into the face to read properly, but I do think I’m making progress here…. the next challenge is mouths – the big struggle for me is getting the angle and width right – if I’m going to rip my paper from rubbing out too much it tends to be around the mouth – onwards and upwards…!

Jo SheridanJo Sheridan
    Participant
    No points.

Day 64 – Gone for a different medium tonight – Charcoal – I get in such a mess with this – I start out trying to be “painterly” and keep my hand off the paper, but then somewhere along the line when I am deep in thought about the angle of the nose I forget and 5 minutes later I’m covered in it… anyway – here is my charcoal face…

Charcoal face

Jo SheridanJo Sheridan
    Participant
    No points.

… Just realised that I’ve got my numbering all wrong – this is Day 62 🙂

Jo SheridanJo Sheridan
    Participant
    No points.

Day 63 – I was interested to see if I could make these eyes read with the heavy shadow… think this one needs more work…

Eyes in shadow

Jo SheridanJo Sheridan
    Participant
    No points.

Day 64 – Really busy day today with stuff other than art, so I tried a few head poses taken from a course by Marco Bucci  I have decided I really like the way this chap explains things…

Three heads

Jo SheridanJo Sheridan
    Participant
    No points.

Day 65 – some mouth studies today

Mouth studies

Jo SheridanJo Sheridan
    Participant
    No points.

Day 66 – Way way outside my comfort zone today – watercolour – I’ve never got on with this medium, but I thought I would give it a bash – pretty awful results, but hey – it looks a bit like a face, and absolutely nothing like Samuel L Jackson 🙂

Watercolour face

Jo SheridanJo Sheridan
    Participant
    No points.

Day 67 – two contrasting profiles

Two profiles

Jo SheridanJo Sheridan
    Participant
    No points.

Day 68 – quite pleased with this block in of Matthew Beard –  I find it so hard to commit to the tilt, but I think I have captured some of it – will give this some more work tomorrow

Matthew Beard

Jo SheridanJo Sheridan
    Participant
    No points.

Day 69 – well I went out of my comfort zone again and tried to render this in with charcoal and blending stumps and I don’t like how it turned out really – just too smudgy…  I kept the likeness a bit, but got lost thinking about my shading and stumping, but I also think I have lost the tilt on the head which I like so much in the original… think I might try this again and try to enhance the gesture…

Matthew Beard - charcoal

Jo SheridanJo Sheridan
    Participant
    No points.

Day 70. Only had an hour tonight so was rushing and again totally lost the gesture in this one – this is something I really need to sort out! Hey ho… tomorrow is another day…

Male Face

Jo SheridanJo Sheridan
    Participant
    No points.

Day 71 – Oh my goodness, I’ve tried about 6 block-ins tonight and they are all just awful, so I tried some loomis heads and none of those are fit to post either – I’m just tired and not on it at all – so I dug out my soft pastels and did a couple of eyes – I just needed to get my pencils out of my hands as they were just not working for me tonight…

Eyes

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 117 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.