Jo’s 100 days above the shoulders

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Jo’s 100 days above the shoulders

Viewing 12 posts - 106 through 117 (of 117 total)
  • Author
    Jo SheridanJo Sheridan
    Participant
    No points.

Day 93 – fun afternoon working on the skull

Skull study

Jo SheridanJo Sheridan
    Participant
    No points.

I’m getting a much better sense of when a piece is finished or not – I can see looking back that I stopped short of “the end” quite a lot in some of my other stuff – to be fair a lot of the ones on here had to finish because of the nature of the challenge – but some of them that I was happy with at the time, I can now see had so much further to go… I love the fact that drawing really slows you down…  a great antidote to the rest of life…

Jo SheridanJo Sheridan
    Participant
    No points.

Day 94 – Iliya’s tumbling skulls exercise

Tumbling skulls

Jo SheridanJo Sheridan
    Participant
    No points.

Da 95 – more skull quick sketches, some from reference and some from imagination. I tried some in charcoal, but scurried back into graphite after a while – I really struggle to find a charcoal pencil that I like – I find the way the marks go down really challenging – very scratchy – I like the smoothness of graphite… Other than that I was quite pleased with how these came out, but I can’t help feeling that they look more like stormtrooper helmets rather than skulls…

Skull quick sketches

Jo SheridanJo Sheridan
    Participant
    No points.

Day 96 – I just love Iliya’s enthusiasm for these macabre cadaver resources – just making a start on the muscles of the face video’s

Facial muscles cadaver

Jo SheridanJo Sheridan
    Participant
    No points.

Day 97 – main muscles of the face – completed. I really wish that I had not started this on on newsprint paper because I struggled to get the finish I wanted – I must also admit that this is a study of Iliya’s interpretation of the cadaver head because I found the original too small on the video to see properly while I was watching the demonstration. I plan to have another go at this on better paper and without the demo now I have a better understanding of the key bits I’m supposed to be studying here – its such a detailed image its hard to pick things out at first…

Muscles of head study 2

Jo SheridanJo Sheridan
    Participant
    No points.

Day 98 – just a few eyes tonight – I was trying to start with a ball and then imagine the eye lids running over the top of them – not sure how well I got this, but its been a tough week and I’m just pleased to have found half an hour to do some quick sketching

Imaginary eyes

Jo SheridanJo Sheridan
    Participant
    No points.

Day 99 – Gosh, how can it be day 99 – this has  become quite a habit now – just an initial block in today – I am short of time as trying to get away for the half term holidays with the family… flying tomorrow on day 100 – argh – really hope I find time to submit on my last day….

Face - block-in

Jo SheridanJo Sheridan
    Participant
    No points.

Day 100!!!!

I actually made it – I’ll post some reflections on the whole thing later, but for now – just a skull from imagination done in the airport lounge as I wait for my flight to France

Skull from imagination

JackJack
    Participant
    No points.

Congratulations Jo! A lot of work and effort, well done.

Jo SheridanJo Sheridan
    Participant
    No points.

Yay, thanks Jac – you are right it was a lot of work and effort, but you know all about that… I do however think it was a really worthwhile exercise – I know there were days when I was really under time pressures to get something worth posting and I got very frustrated when everything I was drawing was awful, but then I went through phases when it all seemed to click and I really felt like I was progressing. Looking back over the 100 days I think my standards have really gone up and I definitely discovered Iliya’s courses at the right time to keep me interested and engaged.

I’m a little sad that it didn’t end on a big high with some fabulous masterpiece going up on day 100, but other life events conspired against me… there are definite highlights though as I look through my 100 days portfolio and you really start to see what a huge volume of work you manage to get through when you are working to such a deadline – thank you NMA for this challenge and thanks to Jac for coming along for the ride… I’ll see you on the next one. Jo x

Kevin DoblerKevin Dobler
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Congratulations!!

Viewing 12 posts - 106 through 117 (of 117 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.