Bryan’s 100 Day Mixed Media Sketchbook

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Bryan’s 100 Day Mixed Media Sketchbook

Viewing 6 posts - 106 through 111 (of 111 total)
  • Author
    Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 44. More practice on Renaissance portraits. I made the width of the face a little large. 

Raven KushnerRaven Kushner
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Mixed media is really fun! That’s a good idea – to fill up a mixed media sketch book. Best of luck with it!

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Bryan. Out of interest, what do you look for when you choose a master study to draw from? Is it style, a particular pose, medium, artist etc? There is such a vast array of master works and artists to choose from! Keep up the good work 🙂!

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks Raven and Deborah 🙂.

Deborah, I mostly pick master works that have interesting shapes that I want to try to replicate. I feel like getting the shapes right is great training/practice to be able to do paintings from life.

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

That’s interesting. In the ‘finding y0ur personal style’ videos, Bill Perkins spends a lot of time talking about line, chiaroscuro (form) and notan which is essentially shape. He says that people will usually be drawn to one over the others. He also says that in good art, usually one or two of these can be present, but rarely all three. I see you leaning towards notan in a lot of y0ur work and it’s then interesting that you say you are choosing master works based on interesting shapes. I don’t know whether you’ve watched any of Bill’s lectures, but you may find them of interest 🙂.

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 45. I’m a little off on this one, but this is without measurements and no erasing.

Deborah- Yes, I’ve watched some of Bill Perkins videos, and I really like his lectures and the way he breaks things down. I also read the ideas you mention in a book called “How to Paint Like The Old Masters.” There is actually a good exercise in that book where you draw your thumb using each technique exclusively.

Viewing 6 posts - 106 through 111 (of 111 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.