Bryan’s 100 Day Mixed Media Sketchbook

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Bryan’s 100 Day Mixed Media Sketchbook

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 111 total)
  • Author
    Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I recently moved to a new apartment and have less space to draw and paint. Therefore, for this challenge I will focus on filling up a 5.5 x 8.5 mixed media sketchbook.

My goals for this challenge are to:

1. Continue to work on the accuracy of my drawings 2. Explore using mixed media 3. Continue studying color theory 4. Continue studying master works 5. Draw/paint from life 6. Practice every day

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 1. Completed this master study drawing  of a portrait by Euan Uglow. I relatively pleased with the drawing considering it was my first time working at 5.5 x 8.5. Tomorrow, I’m going to try to color this using Crayola crayons. Not sure how it’s going to turn out. 

Christopher
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Bryan! 😁👍

Didn’t expect you to go for a second challenge but I’m glad you are.

I also like your plan to focus on your sketchbook this time. It’s basically the opposite of a “big” canvas 😅

About day 1: Without the reference I would assume that the forehead + eyes and cheekbones are pushing outside to much compared to the nose, mouth and jaw area. The eyes could also be a bit to high and maybe to big.

I whish you much fun and alot of improvement for your second challenge 👍

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by Christopher.
    Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you Christopher 🙂 I actually wasn’t going to come back so soon, but I saw this little Strathmore mixed media sketchbook at Target the other day, and decided it would be a fun challenge to try to fill it up. Yeah, working this small will hopefully reduce the pressure of having to fill a whole canvas, and allow me to focus on getting the details right.

Yeah, I see a problem with the nose/eyes area as well. Thanks for pointing it out. I’ll remeasure and try to fix it before I start coloring tomorrow  🙂.

Here is a link to the original:

https://www.piano-nobile.com/exhibitions/47/works/artworks2533/

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe.
    Christopher
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Ah I see … for me it looks like you got carried away by all the bumps of the outer contour. Structural I think it’s the top of the eye sockets and the frontal bone that are pushing outside.

It’s hard to explain but maybe I would have layed that in with a straight and then added the additional mass of the forehead.

Basically something like this:

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Yeah, I see what you mean. Thanks for the drawing 🙂

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hey Bryan! Welcome back 🙂! This looks like a really fun challenge. I’m just sorting out what I’m going to do and I’ll be starting again shortly too. I hope you’ve settled in to your new place okay 🙂

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks Deborah. I’m glad you’ll be starting again also 🙂. So far, we’ve been really busy unpacking, but we like our new place and area.

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 2. Here are some corrections from the drawing from yesterday.

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 3. Here is my progress today using Crayola Crayons. I’m approaching it very slowly and trying to build up layers. I’m also getting used to the 64 colors in the box. 

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 4. Progress today. Getting Crayola crayons to blend is a challenge. 

Isabella Borges
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Bryan!
    Good work on the master study. The painting you chose to replicate seems like a great reference to study planes and color zones in the face. Keep it up!

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you Isabella. Yes, Euan Uglow was an absolute master of precision. He often spent years on each painting, so I can’t hope to  replicate the brilliance of his work in a quick study with Crayola crayons, but I’m pretty happy with the way this one is turning out so far 🙂.

Christopher
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Bryan,

I also imagine this being a pretty tough study because if I look at his drawing the lighting and therefore the shadows are really subtle which for me would be really hard to replicate right now.

But I think you are doing a good job. Just always be conscious to think about your colors not just as colors but also as values and dont be to hard on yourself if it doesn’t turn out how you wanted it to. I’m sure this kind of painting includes pretty advanced stuff 👍👋

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 5. Here is the progress for today.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 111 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.