Bryan’s 100 Day Mixed Media Sketchbook

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Bryan’s 100 Day Mixed Media Sketchbook

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 111 total)
  • Author
    Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks Bryan. I got there in the end. This is looking very much like a peach 🙂. The colours seem to be working well so far.

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you Deborah. If it looks like a peach, I’ll count this one as a success 🙂.

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 10. Here is the finished peach. 

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 11. I added a darker grey background to my peach to try to get it to stand out more.

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 12. Today I started working on a master study of “Portrait of Louise-Antoinette Feuardent” by Jean-Francois Millet. Here is my progress on the drawing stage. 

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Bryan. Good job on the peach. The darker background does work to help the peach pop. You could probably do the same with the surface it’s sitting on. This study is looking good 🙂.

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you Deborah 🙂

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 13. Here is my finished study of “Portrait of Louise-Antoinette Feuardent” by Jean-Francois Millet. 

Christopher
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Bryan,

I also think your peach turned out pretty good.

Your portrait study reminds me of your oil pastel work but it’s still colored pencil or not? 😅

By the way how are you liking them so far? I like my polychromos for sketching but I’m to impatient if it’s about layering and getting darker values. 👍👋

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks Christopher. All my work so far on this challenge have just been made using ordinary Crayola Crayons. I’m using them instead of the oil pastels because they are much less messy and easier to control/keep in a sketchbook. I want to experiment with using Caran De Ache Neocolor II crayons because they are water soluble, but they are pretty expensive, so Crayola is ok for right now because I just had a bunch of moving expenses. I’m sure polychromos would work well also, but again expensive. I’m also reluctant to get better crayons or pencils because then I would want better paper, as I’m using the cheapest 200 series Strathmore sketchbook right now 🙂.

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 14. Here is my block in of a portrait by one of my favorite artists, Paul Gauguin. I’m taking this one slow, trying to get it as accurate as possible. 

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Bryan. I love your day 13 portrait. You’re so inventive with colour. One hopefully helpful comment: on her forehead, the line coming up from her nose and the shape of the cast shadow from her hair make it look like there’s a corner on her forehead. I don’t know what the reference looks like, but cast shadows indicate the form. The water soluble crayons sound great. I love my Caran de Ache pencils, so if their whole range is as good, they’d be amazing. Moving is expensive. I hope you can get some soon. You’re putting so much into your study, I’d say you’ve earned them 🙂!

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you Deborah 🙂. I see what you are saying about her forehead. I accidentally went way too dark with the orange color in that area. I’ve been watching the new portrait painting series, so I’ve been learning about turning forms. I’ve been watching some of the Caran de Ache’s product demos on YouTube, and also some mixed media artists using them. You can do some pretty cool stuff with their crayons. I’ll probably get some before this challenge is over 🙂

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 15. Paul Gauguin portrait master study complete. I feel like I’m starting to figure out the Crayola crayons a bit. 

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Yes, you are. I think this is very successful. How are you finding the painting course?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 111 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.