Bryan’s 100 Day Mixed Media Sketchbook

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Bryan’s 100 Day Mixed Media Sketchbook

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 111 total)
  • Author
    Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

A bit more work. 

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Nice work Bryan. The water crayons look like they’re working well. Out of interest, can you add extra layers once dry? I guess that may depend on the paper? Looking good 🙂

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks Deborah 🙂. Yes, I could add more layers once dry. The only problem is all the layers will activate and blend together if they get wet because I’m using Neocolor II. The only ways around this is to use a fixative between layers or use Neocolor I on the top because they are not water soluble. I do like the idea of building up textures in true mixed media style.

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 33. Sorry for the very long hiatus, but I’ve been extremely busy and didn’t want to post low quality stuff on here. Today is the first day I’ve had in quite a while where I had time to put in some effort. Hopefully, I can be more consistent now that things have slowed down a bit. Here is a block in for a study of a realist portrait of a woman with a hat and fur scarf. I can’t remember the artist. I did the block in with crayon only. I’m trying to get comfortable with no underdrawings. 

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 34. Some more work on this one.

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 35. Some more work on this one. 

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 36. Today I did quick study of a portrait of Michelangelo. I made some mistakes on this one and tried to fix them as I went. Here is the result. 

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Bryan. Welcome back 🙂! There’s a really nice depth, both of colour and of expression, to the face of the woman. How are you finding dropping the under drawings? When I look at this latest one, I’m reminded that your work is always so interesting to look at!

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 37. I did this quick study today using a colored pencil. I elongated the face a bit.

Thank you Deborah 🙂 No underdrawing is tough, but I think it is beneficial in the long run. I’m hoping it will help me when I get back into oil painting to just paint without drawing first.

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 38. Today, I did a study of a portrait by Thomas Eakins. 

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 39. I tried this Raphael again with some colored pencils. I tried it in my last challenge and wasn’t very successful. I feel like I at least understood the concepts better today. 

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 40. This one is from life with no underdrawing with Crayola crayons in my sketchbook. Not my best work, and the proportions are off, but at least it sort of looks like a human being. This gives me motivation to get better at drawing from life. 

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 41. Today I did a study of a portrait by Emile Bernard using crayon. 

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 42. This is a study of a portrait by John Singleton Copley. I’m working on developing my eye to get better at judging angles, shapes, and proportions. I’m also working on getting better at initial impressions by not allowing myself to erase. 

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 43. I forget which Renaissance artist made the original of this one. I messed up the mouth a bit. 

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 111 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.