Bryan’s 100 Day Mixed Media Sketchbook

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Bryan’s 100 Day Mixed Media Sketchbook

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 111 total)
  • Author
    Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you Christopher 🙂. Yes, I’m trying to think about values. One thing that’s tough about using Crayola crayons is that they are mostly all very bright colors straight out of the box. I’m trying to dilute them by going over almost every color with grey.

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 6. Here is the progress for today

Iliya MirochnikIliya Mirochnik
    Participant
    Instructor Badge
    No points.

Hi Bryan,

Firstly, really great that you’re using crayons! I’m a big fan! And it’s surprising what you can do with them!

Looking at your progress on this piece I think that you worked, as I tend to call it, “from one spot”, essentially, laying down a very local tone/color and then building out from there. Uglow might have worked like this to some degree but if you look at this work you can easily break the entire image into a couple of big tonal/color spots, each with it’s own clear value and color. Those I know who have seen his work in person, have told me that his paintings practically glow. This is achieved not only from the intensity of chroma, but from the flatness of the big relationships. I feel that in your copy, you could really push those big relationships. Make sure the shapes of the face read clearly lighter than the background. Also, feel free to press harder on those crayons! They can take it!

I think the nose is a bit too long and the eyes not deep set enough. I’m including the original here (although of course you’ve been looking at it) just to illustrate my point.

Best,

Iliya

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you Iliya. Ive been timid using the crayons because it is a new medium for me 🙂. I will try to press harder and get the coat and background much darker. Thank you for feedback.

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Bryan, I’m back for a new challenge 🙂. I love your confidence with colour – don’t tone it down too much! It’s great to see what you’re working on.

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you Deborah. I’m glad that you are back🙂.

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 7. I pressed hard with the crayons today 🙂. Thanks again for the advice Iliya. 

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Nice work. Eyes are large. Next time look really carefully at the shapes of the eyes. How much of the space is upper lid, lower, lashes etc. start paying attention to those shapes more carefully. The bargue plates are good for practicing that.(in the image area)

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you Joshua. I will work on it 🙂.

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 8. I’m trying a still life today of my half eaten peach. I’m finding it pretty challenging. Here is my initial drawing. Still needs some work before I starting coloring. 

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Here is the photo reference for my peach. 

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Yum, you have peaches!! We’re finally only a week away from spring! Your master study glows too – you’re certainly making the humble crayon work for you. I’m still finding heads really difficult, so great work 👍🏻🙂

Christopher
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Bryan,

I think your Master study turned out good. Just the background color is to strong in my opinion.

The lay in of the peach looks promising. I’m kind of curious to see how it turns out since I can’t remember that I have seen something else than portraits from you until this point. It’s somewhat exciting since I can imagine that you’ll do a great job considering that portraits are in general a much more difficult subject. 👋

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you Deborah. Yes, we are in late summer right now 🙂. Thanks for the compliments. I agree that heads/portraits are hard. The trick is to be extremely precise with measurements. I’m not completely there yet, but slowly getting better. I think you did a good job on the head of your latest figure 🙂.

Thank you Christopher. I agree that in theory portraits are more difficult, but getting the colors right on this peach is proving to be pretty challenging.

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 9. I finished the drawing of my peach this afternoon, and started adding initial colors. Here is my progress so far.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 111 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.