100 Day Challenge: Heads and Faces-planes/structure/proportion

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge 100 Day Challenge: Heads and Faces-planes/structure/proportion

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 193 total)
  • Author
    theokatzman45
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 47: so I mainly followed along and drew with Karl gnass, so that was great, but that’s about it… those valued spheres were really half hearted attempts, wasn’t paying enough attention. don’t know, just having a hard time getting going lately I guess, still in the rut, can’t make it past quick sloppy drawings……. in a never ending state of warm up… we’ll see if we can get it going better tomorrow…

tried drawing my dog Lol, will try again

TimTim
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Mattius your figure drawing is really strong  gesture is such a big part of what I enjoy in figurative work and I love your sensitive line flow and  joined up drawings ,also the proportions really work  for me

theokatzman45
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks Tim I appreciate the kind complements! 🙏

TimTim
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

No probs I have an small  observation /subjective if you would like  it ?

Tim

theokatzman45
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Sure @tim would love to hear your thoughts!

TimTim
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Ok it’s not a very considered idea ,but it’s all food for thought I find

and It’s rather abstract , but as you know the head is the first gesture of the figure and looking at some of your drawings which are delightful  It felt you drew the head __ and  then the body with the body being being more gestural in many sketches , in this context it may well be your emphasis was on practising heads feel free to ignore me I allways have an opinion about art .

Kind regards

Tim

theokatzman45
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Yeah I totally get where your coming from! It’s an easy trap to fall into, especially when doing lots of heads individually, you can start to separate the two in the mind. I know Steve Houston says the head is the first gesture, Glenn says the head directs the body, (don’t quote me on that one it’s been awhile lol) while Karl Gnass and others teach to capture the biggest statement first, and then feel the gesture up through the head. But all of them really are the same principle, like you said, the head must connect to the big idea, it’s must be part of the gesture! Certainly don’t want tacked on heads that kill the gesture and feel disconnected from the whole!! Steve Houston said something on that too… Thanks much for bringing this to my attention though, I’ll try and keep it in mind!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by theokatzman45.
    TimTim
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Excellent it’s not very noticeable certainly not tacked on  , but I have a keen eye it’s so much like music that flow

I find critique so useful a fresh pair of eyes

I really look forward to seeing more of your work

Tim

theokatzman45
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Yes absolutely! Thanks!

theokatzman45
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 49: ran out of time, it’s far too late now and I’m too tired to draw properly. So this is not great, but I guess I’ll have to make it up tomorrow! Did some productive art related things today, but it dosnt feel great at all when there isn’t much drawing done… dang. the one face… the object sketches didn’t turn out, and I can’t say I love what’s here, probably should have just spent a bit more time on them. Hopefully there will be more worth showing tomorrow

TimTim
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Good work

I must draw today will do a landscape beach this morning , and beginners drawing course later

HeidiWastweet
    Participant
    No points.

You may feel tired and unsatisfied but you’re actually doing great. I’m looking at your line quality and I’m seeing some wonderful fluidity, variations in width and intensity, and confidence. I can tell you are drawing with not just your hand but your whole arm. Balance that dissatisfaction (which keeps you improving) with positive self-talk (which keeps your motivation). …Good luck!

theokatzman45
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hey Heidi, thanks so much for the encouraging words, I can lean to the negative a lot, but the positive reenforcement is much appreciated!! Its definitely a good reminder to try and be positive and realistic. Gotta keep pressing forward!

theokatzman45
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 50!?! Wow I cannot believe it’s already halfway! Now I just have to do what I’ve done again hahaha. And if it isn’t evident already I’m going to keep trying and working on heads and faces everyday, but I’m also adding in figure, and the occasional object, and hopefully sooner than later some perspective stuff. Maybe will focus on one of these more than others in a given time. Anyway these figures here are mostly from following along with Karl gnass, the second page is especially rough, no kidding. Will try and spend more time tomorrow.

TimTim
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Everything has life !! All your determined efforts are bearing fruit your like a gardener digging digging  watering everyday

Then the scent of Rose’s

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by TimTim.
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 193 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.