[COMPLETED] Zhi Su’s 100 Day Challenge: Portrait and Figure

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge [COMPLETED] Zhi Su’s 100 Day Challenge: Portrait and Figure

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 191 total)
  • Author
    ZHI SUZHI SU
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 13

Graphite pencil on paper, 12 x 16 in, April 2020

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by ZHI SUZHI SU.
    Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Great work! Try to make sure none of your reflected light is as light as any value on your light side.

ZHI SUZHI SU
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you Joshua. I learned the rule, but in practice, I’m often distracted by the features and forget the values.

Day 14: I just arbitrarily designate Saturday as a crazy day.

Watercolor on paper, 7.5 x 10 in, April 2020

ZHI SUZHI SU
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 15

I’ve been following Mark Westermoe’s watercolor portrait class on NMA recently and  learned something new. He works in layers and leaves strokes in (not harsh edges but clear marks) – both of these I’m not very used to, especially with watercolor. I do want to try it though, because I always feel there’s a thinness in my painting, and maybe this is the way to build up volume?

Watercolor, 7.5 x 10 in, April 2020

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

These are great! I think using more bold strokes will help you improve even if eventually you tighten up your style.

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Wow! Very nice! You’re use of color is really strong. Along with gouache, watercolor is one of my worst mediums. You are certainly good with it!

ZachZach
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

These are such beautiful studies! How are you liking applying watercolor to the figure? How does it compare to landscapes for you?

ZHI SUZHI SU
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you all for the kind words! Hi, Zach, so far I find drawing is way more important for figure and portrait. Landscape is more forgiving because I messed up a tree, I can add a branch, change it’s shape, etc. Can’t do that for human. 🙂

Day 16

I did the same pose in oil for the free critique thread a while ago. I tried to apply what I learned  from Mark’s class to this new attempt:

Portrait of a young woman, watercolor on paper, 7.5 x 10 in, April 2020

ZHI SUZHI SU
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 17

Watercolor, 7 x 10.5 in, April 2020

ZHI SUZHI SU
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I just realized that I posted the wrong drawing for Day 13, and my Day11 and Day 13 are the same. Here’s the Day 13 I meant to post:

Day 13

Conte, 12 x 16 in, April 2020

ZHI SUZHI SU
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 18

watercolor on paper, 7.5 x 10 in, April 2020

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Zhi Su, again, very nice! Your color choices are so effective. Your last portrait of Rajiv is not only nicely done but a wonderful character study. He has an amazing face. I’m working on a pen and ink of him I hope to post today. His face and gestures are extraordinary. You captured him well in one of his more subtle poses. Nice job!

ZHI SUZHI SU
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks Paul! I saw your pen and ink drawing of Rajiv, very nice!

Day 19

Watching Steve Huston’s sketchbook series, and thought to give cross hatching a try. I want to practice the one that doesn’t follow the form, and solely focus on value. It’s counter intuitive in many places. I feel like a few minutes in I start to chase the form.

Faber-Castell Pitt pen, 9 x 12 in, April 2020

Birgith ScheiBirgith Schei
    Participant
    No points.

Again – very nice work

ZHI SUZHI SU
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks Birgith!

Day 20, still hatching.

I used a fountain pen, and it got dark quickly. I made several mistakes, but didn’t have the heart to give up. So I switched to a micron pen. It’s so much easier to control, but I feel like I am more scumbling than hatching, at lease in some places. Steve in his video says we should look for a $75 and above fountain pen. Mine’s is about 75 cents. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 191 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.