Sjaan’s 100 Day Challenge: Figure drawing in charcoal/pastel

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Sjaan’s 100 Day Challenge: Figure drawing in charcoal/pastel

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 141 total)
  • Author
    JanJan
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I agree that your drawings are beautiful! I especially like Day 38. You have made a strong statement with a very small amount of detail. The drawing seems to combine characteristics of both Steve Huston and Lane Brown. The pastel and charcoal combination in Day 36 is also very striking.

Jeanette AssiesJeanette Assies
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 39: charcoal on grained paper. Quick sketch this time, due to lack of time. I call this my contingency plan when your day schedule does not work out the way you wanted 😉

Day 39

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 40: charcoal on grained paper. Another quick sketch. Busy times 😉

Day 40

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 41: Charcoal on grained paper. So I missed a post yesterday, so I am posting 2 drawings today to make up….. I used my preferred approach: starting with a gestural drawing and massing in shadow parts. I took about 30 minutes for detailing and composition. I really like the gestural drawing because I feel the motion then. Better then starting with shadow masses. On the other hand I like to start with shadow masses because I can focus on composition more then……I need to find a symbiotic way of combining these 2 approaches. That will be my quest for the coming 59 drawings.

.Day 41

Jenny
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Very beautiful drawings Sjaan! They are very inspiring 🙂

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 42: charcoal on grained paper. Continuing my approach, starting with gestural drawing and massing in the shadow parts.

Day 42

Jean-Pierre Fermet
    Participant
    No points.

Very beautiful and inspiring challenge, Jeanette. It’s very nice to see the differences beetween the mediums and papers you use.

Bonne continuation!

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 43: charcoal on grained paper. Continuing with this medium and paper type. Took a little more time to work out details in the shadow and face. Love the pose. Sometime the pose itself is enough. You hardly can fail.

Day 43

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 44: charcoal on grained paper. Spent a litle more time on detailing this drawing. Difficult pose.

Day 44

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 45: charcoal on grained paper. I like this one because it gives me a feel of perspective.

Day 45

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 46: charcoal on grained paper. The usual approach.

Day 46

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 47: conte a paris, sanguine on grained paper. I dared to try the conte again. And I find the tone to harsh and to deep for my taste. Still I managed a drawing that I can appreciate. I like the way you can put in lines in the shadow part, to give a little more information without drawing any attention to it. But for me conte is primarily a drawing tool, not so much a suitable tool for massing in.

Day 47

erikdenneserikdennes
    Participant
    No points.

I’ve been using conte on smooth newsprint.  It will mass in better than my charcoal pencils.  I sharpen it like a pencil, and use a charcoal holder to hold it.  I modified a Jack Richeson Charcoal holder to accept the square conte instead of a round charcoal.  Works really well.  It is very soft compared to a pastel pencil, so you have to use a light touch.  The charcoal holder helps immensely with this.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 48: charcoal on grained paper. I like the pose, 10 minutes, maybe spent 20 minutes. I will spend more time on the coming poses, but I need a new perspective on my challenge. This is getting too routine…..

Day 48

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 49: charcoal on grained paper. Rollin, rollin, rollin….

Day 49

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 141 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.