Sjaan’s 100 Day Challenge: Figure drawing in charcoal/pastel

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Sjaan’s 100 Day Challenge: Figure drawing in charcoal/pastel

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 141 total)
  • Author
    Jeanette AssiesJeanette Assies
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 17: charcoal on paper. This one was hard to do with the approach of massing in the shadows, since the figure is mostly in light. Found a little bit of shadow shapes and other I tried detailing the light shapes cobined with linework…..

Day 17

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 18: charcoal on paper. The coming 4 days will be a challenge to post everyday since I am on a little break. Nonetheless managed todays challenge. I tried to incorporate the critique of Iliya. The face was an hassle so I left it more undefined then I wanted to.

Day 18

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 19: charcoal in my multimedia sketchbook. A small sketch of 40 minutes that I could squeeze into my busy schedule of my break-away-from-home-in-corona-times. It is a sketch of 8 by 6 inches, so the details of the hands were quite difficult. I left it with 40 minutes, but could have spent hours of further fiddling.Day 19

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 20: charcoal on paper. This drawing I kept to 30+ minutes, but I feel like developping it further into a more finished state. But for the sake of this challenge, I post it as-is……

Day 20

MyriamMyriam
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi, Jeanette, I love your drawings. You insinuate the form and there is no need for more, and its beautiful. It’s also very interesting what Iliya said to you. I tend to overdraw, so I should change my challenge and try what you are doing…. Maybe in #50 I’ll do it. 🙂 It must be liberating.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 21: pressed chalk and conte a paris on grained paper. Today I experimented with a new paper and changed medium. Not to happy with the result. I find myself doing more of drawing rather then massing in when I use conte a paris. Also it is a bit to renaissancy for my taste, so I expect to go back to charcoal tomorrow.

Day 21

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 22: charcoal on grained paper. Today I found myself again fiddling with this drawing too far. I think an earlier stage of this drawing was better.  I am still indecisive on how far I want to detail the light planes. Actually the objective is not to detail the light planes at all, so that will be my focus for the coming 78 drawings.

Day 22

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 23: charcoal on paper. This one has been one road of frustration. I have struggled tremendeously with the buttocks. Can you imagine? I find myself in more cases struggling with the correct gesture. I think the approach of starting with masses does need a gestural drawing to start with. New focus point for my coming drawings.

Day 23

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 24: charcoal on paper. I started a gestural drawing first and I am not sure if this approach is making the result too stiff. Tomorrow I change my approach back to massing in and then make a decision….or maybe it is just a matter of practice, practice, practice…..sigh……

Also had trouble with the hands. Found myself detailing them again which takes a lot of time. But I don’t have another idea of how to solve this. Just leave it as a mass? I don’t know……sigh…..

Day 24

ZHI SUZHI SU
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Beautiful drawings. I like how some part of the body disappears into the background.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 25: charcoal on grained paper. The model was mainly in light, so little shadow masses. More linework therefor, but I did try to keep the light planes as simple as possible.

Day 25

Eyliana
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Really nice drawing drawings! I really like the clear distinction between te lights and the darks 🙂

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 26″ Sanguine on graned paper: approach was massing in the shadows first before drawing anything else. And again I find myself making mistakes in the gesture and trying to correct it afterwards. I am more and more conviced that this is not an approach to pursue any further. Tomorrow back to gestural drawings again.

Day 26

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 27: charcoal on pastel paper. This is a 5 minutes pose that I started with a gestural drawing and then massed in the shadow shapes. Honestly it is one of my favorites. Because I was forced to keep the shapes very simple and it worked out well to my taste. No time in 5 minutes to get detailed so maybe I should redefine my challenge and make a 5 minutes pose instead of a 30 minutes pose.

Day 27

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 28: charcoal and pastel on toned pastel paper. Last few days I am experimenting during my Daily Life Drawing sessions with NMA with quick gestural drawing in charcoal and then massing in the shadow parts. Today I have added highlights in pastel. I really enjoy this approach because it forces me to keep things simple as the time frame for drawing is max 10 minutes. Todays drawing was a 10 minutes pose but I took the opportunity to take some time more to detail the face and more accurate shadows. But then I see the drawings loses its initial freshness.

Day 28

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 141 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.