Sjaan’s 100 Day Challenge: Figure drawing in charcoal/pastel

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Sjaan’s 100 Day Challenge: Figure drawing in charcoal/pastel

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 141 total)
  • Author
    Reptilian_Overlord
    Participant
    No points.

Honestly, these are all great, but some of them are beautiful.

Lucas a.k.a Lucas a.k.a “Roams”
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

beautiful pieces i love the atmospheric look of these 😀 keep it up!!

Jeanette AssiesJeanette Assies
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 29: charcoal on smooth grained drawing paper. Another experiment: gestural drawing in graphite and massing in the shadow shapes with charcoal. Think I stick to charcoal next time. I can erase charcoal more easily. I do like the light construction lines however.

Day 29

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 30: charcoal on grained paper. Today another experiment. I made a gestural drawing with charcoal without lifting my charcoal from the paper untill the gesture was complete. After that I massed in the shadow shapes. I left the drawing rough, rather unfinished, but I like it.Day 30

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 31: charcoal on grained paper. The last few drawings have been short figure poses from the Daily Life Drawing sessions  and this was a 10 minutes pose. I started again with a gestural drawing, trying not to lift my charcoal from the paper and then massing in the shadow parts. I realy enjoy that. I think I will stick to this approach.

Day 31

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 32: Charcoal and white pastel on pastel paper. Another short pose, started with gestural drawing and then massing in shadow shapes. Kept this one to 10 minutes.

Day 32

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 33: charcoal on grained paper. This is a 10 minutes pose. First gestural drawing then massing in. Maybe not the best drawing but I so loved the drama of this pose combined with my initial gestural drawing. I left that untouched and I like the roughness of it that emphasizes the drama of the figure in despair.
    Day 33

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 34: charcoal and white pastel on toned pastel paper. Same approach, 10 minutes pose. Will try and do a 30 minutes pose in the coming days.Day 34

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 35: Charcoal on grained paper. Another short pose, had to rush. Next time better.

Day 35

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 36: charcoal and pastel on toned pastel paper. I just switched to Schmincke pastels and boy, do I love them! Best pastels ever! Will do some more experimenting with colours in the drawings to come.

Day 36

Tanya SannutoTanya Sannuto
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

ohh I love it. I love how you’ve put it together.

AJAJ
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

These are great! The blending in and out of the smokey shadows are so well done

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 37: Charcoal on grained paper. Some 5 minutes and 10 minutes poses…..
    Day 37

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 38: charcoal on grained paper. So today I ran into an artist named Lane Brown (@lane.draws on instagram) and I really loved is way of drawing. It is a bit like Steve Huston, so I decided to make an effort and draw more detail like Lane does in his drawing, with an focus on composition. This is a thumbnail sketch of 2 bij 4 inch and that I started by massing in only the shadow shapes. So no gestural drawing this time. And I so liked it at that first stage, that I decided to take it into a more finished state……and now I find myself in jeopardy…..not knowing what approach to choose….because I like them both…….sigh…..

Day 38

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 141 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.