Sjaan’s 100 Day Challenge: Figure drawing in charcoal/pastel

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Sjaan’s 100 Day Challenge: Figure drawing in charcoal/pastel

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 141 total)
  • Author
    Jeanette AssiesJeanette Assies
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 75: charcoal on grained paper. Kevin again. Gotta love Kevin.

Day 75

iamjakerooiamjakeroo
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

your charcoal drawings have a lot of flow to them, i like it

wondering.. what size paper are you working with?

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Why thank you, IamJakeRoo. That so nice to say. I am using a sketch pad of A3 format (12×17 inches), but most of my drawings are one third of a page, so 5 by 6 inches or so.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 76: charcoal and pastel on toned pastel paper. Quick sketch to make up for the backlog.

Day 76

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 77: charcoal and white pastel on dark toned pastel paper. I find it extremely difficult to mass in the shapes that are in light and also indicating the half tones when starting on dark toned paper…..and still struggling how to get to an agreeable composition. I seem to cannot find a way or a style that pleases me.

Day 77

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 78: charcoal on grained paper. Still struggling with composition and drawing style…….if only I had a genie that could lead me the way……

Day 78

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 79: charcoal on grained paper. So I worked some more on my post of yesterday. Just to explore possible compositions. That will be it for today.

Day 79

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 80: charcoal on grained paper. Quick study

Day 80

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 81: charcoal on grained paper. So here I am trying to develop a style, which resulted in much more time spent on this study then the 30 minutes I set for myself and a composition I am not pleased with. The coming drawings I will set a timer and force myself to make decisions on what to draw and more important, what not to detail

Day 81

erikdenneserikdennes
    Participant
    No points.

I wouldn’t worry so much about trying to develop a “style”.  I think you will develop that naturally over time.  Just study the masters and steal/copy elements from them, and your “style” will be your own unique synthesis of those elements.  Have you watched the Bill Perkins series on composition using Line, Mass, and Form?  That continues to be helpful for me to make good design choices which will help you develop your style and unique voice.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Sure did watch everything of Bill Perkins! Twice or more. So enlightning. Thanks for your kind words, @erikdennes. I guess I will need to keep on swimming untill I have confidence enough to experiment with the design.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 82: charcoal on smooth drawing paper. Redo of a pose I did earlier. Now tried to create an focus area and experiment with values.

Day 82

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 83: charcoal on grained paper. Tried to keep my daily challenge within the 30 minutes.

Day 83

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 84: charcoal on grained paper. Quick sketch today, as I am on a small holiday. Hope I can manage to post every day the coming days, now I am approaching g the end of this challenge.

Day 84

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 85: charcoal on grained paper. Trying my initial approach again: massing in the shadows and leave it with that.

Day 85

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 141 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.