Sjaan’s 100 Day Challenge: Figure drawing in charcoal/pastel

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Sjaan’s 100 Day Challenge: Figure drawing in charcoal/pastel

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 141 total)
  • Author
    Jeanette AssiesJeanette Assies
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Charcoal on paper. Had a little more difficulty with this one, since most of the figure is in light. Then it is very hard to resist the details in the light. Maybe I should not have applied tone in the light masses……

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 9, pastel on pastel paper

I started with the intention to only mass in the light shapes on dark toned paper and found myself fiddling with colouring the details of the light masses…..and thus took me more then 30 minutes. Tomorrow will give it another try to mass in the light shapes on dark paper within 30 minutes.Day 9

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 10: pastel on dark pastelpaper. This time I tried to mass in the light shapes on black paper with one colour only. I managed this within 30 minutes. Although the proportions of the figure are not entirely correct, I felt like sharing this anyway. The exercise of massing in lights on black paper was not that easy but again I learned so much.

Day 10

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 11: compressed chalk on brown study paper. This was done again within 30 minutes. I kept it very simple. Also because I did not like the rough surface of the paper together with the chalk. No room for refining details, but maybe that is good since I only have 30 minutes….Day 11

Iliya MirochnikIliya Mirochnik
    Participant
    Instructor Badge
    No points.

Hi Jeanette,

I really like how you’re doing these, focusing on the shadows, making sure the terminator reads. Really good job. I do think that some key anatomical areas need to be accented within the big shapes.

Peihong Jiang Peihong Jiang
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Jeanette, I really like how gestural and value-based these are! Please keep them coming. ^^

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 12: so I switched back to charcoal on regular smooth drawing paper.

I really like working with that. Gives me so much joy and I get a lot done in only 30 minutes. For this one I restricted myself again to 30 minutes only. It is a challenge to get all the key areas done (thank you so much Iliya for your usefull feedback!), but hey I have 88 days left to improve on that!

Day 12

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 13: charcoal on smooth drawing paper.

I used a different approach for this. I massed in a few black shapes and kind of sculpted the figure out of the black masses. In the previous drawings I massed in the shadow shapes by following the outline of the shadow shapes. That way I could achieve more accuracy within 30 minutes. This drawing therefor took about 2-3 hours. More time but quite an enjoyable experience and I learned a lot!

Day 13

Paula BPaula B
    Participant
    No points.

Great drawings, Jeanette 😀

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Nice work Jeanette. Did you see the critique that iliya did of your work?

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Sure did see Iliya’s critique, Joshua. Very usefull! I am utterly gratefull for his feedback.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 14: charcoal on drawing paper. I think I found my love in charcoal on paper. Such a volatile medium, I am just so enjoying this! I have kept it till 30 minutes and am experimenting with not so detailing everything so much. Try to keep more areas undisclosed, so to say.

Day 14

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Iliya,

thank you so much for your feedback. I was totally not aware that you are THE Iliya, instructor at NMA. I love your lessons so much. They have really been a game-changer for me. Question, if I may, on your remark in the picture: you state “shadows are generally flat”. Do you mean that that is a rule of thumb, or are you critiquing my aplication of shadow shapes, which are generally flat? Hope you can help me to clarify this remark, so I can use your critique in my future drawings.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 15: charcoal on drawing paper. Happy with the bottom part, not too sure about the breast and head part. Maybe I should have left the head less defined……

Day 15

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 16: charcoal on paper. Again it took me more then 30 minutes. I fiddled around with the light shapes and made things only worse. I am happy with the drappery though. I like that quality of charcoal.

Day 16

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 141 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.