Paul’s 100 Day Challenge; Sketchbook

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Paul’s 100 Day Challenge; Sketchbook

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 348 total)
  • Author
    John Huisman
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Very nice sketch book pages.  Great stuff!

André Girão TaufferAndré Girão Tauffer
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Amazing sketches! It makes me remember how much we learn with sketch books, and also that it’s time for me to dust mine and get back at sketching stuff.

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Hmm, so I had trouble posting a minute ago, (sorry for the blank post), so I’ll try again.

So I had to take some time off. I was reminded that I was spending entirely too much time on this challenge, (and setting up my studio at home since I can’t go into my real studio). So for the last few days I’ve had to do a lot of home projects and definitely spend more time with my wife and daughter, (who’s stuck at home since her spring break from college became a permanent at-home/online semester). So, I’ve spent more time helping, working on projects and spending time with with my family until I think they REALLY WANT me to spend more time in my studio.

So I’m going to play catch-up. I actually have put in a little time on each day’s work. I’m now going back and finishing what I started on each day.

Here’s my page for day 11. I’m trying to add some ink washes. A bit out of my comfort zone but I’ll keep working on it.

ZHI SUZHI SU
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Beautiful drawings Paul!

ZachZach
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Beautiful line work!

Peihong Jiang Peihong Jiang
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

The animals are soooo lively!

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Thanks John, Andre, Zhi Su, Peihong, Zach and everyone for your encouragement. I really appreciate it. And Joshua, thanks for helping fix the compression issue!

So here’s a page from a few days ago. Trying out more gouache rendering/blending  techniques and then trying to put them to practice. So far the wet brush blending seems easiest, but I think I really need to learn the dry-brush blending. Will keep at it.

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

So cool! On that sleeve the way I read the form is that the light is above and to the left when I look at the shoulder but the sleeve further down appears to be to the right. This is called “jumping” the light and it’s a technique you can use as needed but I just wanted to be sure you’re aware of it. The illusion might work better if the light was more consistent.

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Thanks Joshua. I wasn’t actually aware of it. I’m going to probably let that stuff go for a while with the gouache studies so I appreciate your pointing it out when that happens. On the sleeve, I actually put away the reference for the last part of my study and simply played around with the different blending techniques I’m trying to learn. I have a problem of laboring over studies to make them as close to the original as possible which, I believe, actually destroys a lot of the value of doing studies, (at least for me). I think the best use of studies is not to create an identical copy, which in the past I tried to do, but to capture a feel for the technique I’m studying and then to really play with it and experiment in a loose and hopefully bold way. It’s something I’ve always struggled with but am determined to learn how to do. Thanks again.

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

I agree with you on the use of reference. We learn the quickest when we have to conceive of the drawings on our own.

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Here’s a warmup from day13. I do lots of studies from other artists. As I mentioned, I love doing gestures. For getting real energy and movement it’s hard to beat comic artists.  These are a couple of my favorites.

The two figures on the left and the center figure at the bottom are from Jim Lee. The others are from John Buscema. I do these large, (18′ x 24″), with sharpies. A really fun way to loosen up in the morning.

Ramona
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Your figures here look really dynamic, good job!

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Here’s Day 13. Pen, brush and Ink, and some gouache.

Hope this posts without the blurriness. If it’s blurry, please click on the image to see it correctly displayed.

Shazad Madon
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Really like the animal drawings!

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 348 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.