Paul’s 100 Day Challenge; Sketchbook

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Paul’s 100 Day Challenge; Sketchbook

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 348 total)
  • Author
    Birgith ScheiBirgith Schei
    Participant
    No points.

Very good drawings

Josseline JeriaJosseline Jeria
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Good start and great drawings!

Lucas a.k.a Lucas a.k.a “Roams”
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

these are awesome man. looking forward to seeing more.

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Well, I fell behind and had to play catch up. Here’s my day 2 image. It’s a small gouache study. I spent way too much time on this than it should have taken, (several hours). As I said, gouache has always been a huge struggle for me. I’ve wanted to get better, and faster, with it for a long time. I’m hoping this challenge will help with that.

ZachZach
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Paul your drawings and painting are awesome man! Can’t wait to see what’s next!

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Thanks Zack. I really want to get faster and a bit looser with gouache. Hoping to figure out how by doing this challenge.

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Here’s day three.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Great gouache study and hand drawings. What kind of pen did you use for these?

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Thanks Josseline,

I use a Namiki fountain pen with brown ink that I’ve added some black ink to so it’s a bit darker. I love dip pens but it’s obviously difficult to carry a bottle of ink around to sketch with so I use this. Years ago a wonderful teacher I had made everyone buy one of these pens. At the time I was annoyed because I believe it was about $120. I’m so glad I did though. It’s really a pleasure to draw with. I’m attaching a picture of it.

DaneThibeault
    Participant
    No points.

Hi Paul,

I really like your hatching, and these figures are really dynamic. Since you’re working on toned paper, something you might even want to try is taking a white gel pen if you have one, and hatching in the light area with it. Just another way to add some more volume and energy! Keep up the great work!

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks for sharing. I recently bought a ridiculously cheap fountain pen pack. 3 nibs and barrels, and several prefilled ink plastic tubes. First time using a fountain pen. I really enjoyed it though I can tell I very quickly will need to buy myself a significantly better pen.

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

In large part because of some of the other challenges I’ve been looking at, like Eden and Zach, I thought working in 3 values initially may help with my gouache efforts. As usual, when trying something new, it goes slower at first. So I didn’t finish this today, but will finish it tomorrow along with a page of drawings. I appreciate seeing other  artists approaches. It helps me think outside of my comfort zone.

LuceroLucero
    No badges. No points.

Awesome gouache study, Paul. And your hand drawings look great. Thank you for sharing!

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Hi Josseline,

Nothing wrong with buying an inexpensive pen. Last December, while visiting friends in LA, I went to one of my favorite stores in Little Tokyo and bought a very inexpensive and compact fountain pen with replaceable ink cartridges. While not as nice as the one I sent the picture of, it’s fine, very small and easy to replace the ink on the road with the ink tubes.

I’ve also been thinking of experimenting and buying several different inexpensive pens on Amazon. There’s an amazing variety.

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Hi Dane,

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ve never used white ink in the manner you suggested. I might try that.

I do often use white charcoal on the ink drawings. I was thinking of doing that in the ones I do today. Maybe I’ll add some white gouache.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 348 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.