Paul’s 100 Day Challenge; Sketchbook

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Paul’s 100 Day Challenge; Sketchbook

Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 348 total)
  • Author
    Daniel DaigleDaniel Daigle
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Good job Paul!

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Thanks Andre. I kind of experimented on this. The photo I took for reference was very monochromatic. The squirrel, in the photo, was almost entirely a yellow ochre color, despite being a “red” squirrel. I looked at other photos of red squirrels and, sure enough, they’re usually very colorful with mostly a red stripe down their back and a red tail. They usually have white bellies and lots of greys and darks scattered about. Really beautiful. So I kind of tried to incorporate some of these colors. It was fun and useful because it made me get away from carefully following my reference photo. Something I too often get hung up on. I also totally made up the branch as the reference photo had a very boring branch.

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Thanks Daniel. Struggled with it but ended up having fun. Possibly because, as I said to Andre, I deviated a lot from my reference photo.

Here’s day 93. Thought I’d study some squirrels after trying to paint them, but I ran out of gas pretty quickly. I think I need a break from squirrels.

Daniel DaigleDaniel Daigle
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

yeah squirrels can drive you nuts XD

these are great, Id be really interested in seeing how their claws dig into the bark in order to keep them from falling

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Hi Daniel,
    Hmm, good question. Maybe I’ll see if I can find good enough photos to do a study or two of their claws doing that.

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Here’s day 94. Definitely going to continue gouache in my next 100 day challenge.

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Here are my warmup sketches for today.

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Felt like I needed to switch things up and hopefully loosen up a bit. This doesn’t count toward my challenge.

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Here’s day 95.

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Here’s my day 96 gouache study.

katkat
    Participant
    No points.

You are almost finished with this 100 Day Challenge. Really nice study! I love the color contrast, the blue and purple against the warm colors of the figure. The pose reads really well with the strong cast shadows.

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Thanks Kat. Gouache continues to be a struggle. Will definitely keep it as part of my next challenge.

katkat
    Participant
    No points.

😉 Joseph Clement Coll’s work is amazing! Thank you for telling me about him.

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

You’re welcome Kat. Always a pleasure to share an inspiring artist with another artist!

Here’s day 97.

JanJan
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

What an impressive thread! You handle many different mediums so beautifully. I especially love your gouache studies. Your work is a testament to the value of perseverance and practice. Congratulation on your accomplishment!

“It is only by drawing often, drawing everything, drawing incessantly, that one fine day you discover, to your surprise, that you have rendered something in its true character.” Camille Pissarro

Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 348 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.