[COMPLETED] Joshua’s 100 Day Challenge: 1 Daily Drawing from Imagination

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge [COMPLETED] Joshua’s 100 Day Challenge: 1 Daily Drawing from Imagination

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 303 total)
  • Author
    Shazad Madon
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Lovely stuff. Look forward to seeing it develop.

Annie Survis
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I’m so stoked that you’re doing a 100 day challenge! Watching the different ways you put together a scene and develop an idea has been really helpful. I’m definitely inspired to try more sketching on my tablet!

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Day 20: today I spent time on her head and after an hour or so I can’t really tell if I’m improving things or not so I’ll give it a rest for tonight.

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Daniel, Tanisha, Zach thank you!

Paula, thank you. It’s a starting point. I think it could be interesting to introduce a second light source.

Ramona, thank you. I’m thinking that the story might change. Originally this was supposed to be a group but but I think these two figures might be the subject. So strange how a piece develops it feels like it’s talking to you and telling you what it wants. 😳

Shazad, thank you!

Annie, thank you. It was surprisingly daunting at first (knowing you have to submit before you go to bed) but I’m learning a lot and making new breakthroughs every day. I’m happy if it’s of any use to the community even just as a show of solidarity. 🙏🏼

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Day 21: trying to imagine his face and get an expression. Tomorrow: hair and lighting

l2.diamante
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Increíble, beautiful scenes you are capturing.

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Day 22: worked on the face and hair style.

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Day 23 since the cutoff is midnight?! I don’t think I can get away with that but I did a new session. Couldn’t stop tonight:

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Here’s the REAL day 23. Just tweaking his face more. Something wasn’t right about it…

Peihong Jiang Peihong Jiang
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I like their facial expressions. So very realistic!

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Wow, beautiful. Can’t even imagine doing this from imagination. Awesome!

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Thank you! When I look at I can’t stop trying to think of how I can work it out better. It’s like a puzzle that bothers me and every day I can solve a little more of it.

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Wow, Joshua. I just realized I hadn’t checked your page since you started this second piece! I was unable to do much for a few days and lost track. I’ve been looking through your development phases for this and it’s just amazing! Do you do thumbnails and value studies before starting something like this? I especially liked seeing your thoughts on the 23rd before sleeping as you thought through things you might do. When you started did you have a specific theme or story worked out pretty much completely? Thanks so much for sharing this process. I’m a bit stunned watching you do this! From imagination too. Wow!

Birgith ScheiBirgith Schei
    Participant
    No points.

I’m so impressed

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Birgith,

Thank you!

Paul,

Thank you!

If I were asked to design a mural, for example, I would probably have the crop and aspect ratio locked down from the beginning. I would design the whole general composition first including the perspective and work out the figures. Value design, thumbnails, I would do all of that early on and I would likely know the narrative or subject. The monument sculpture I’m working on now has a clear idea and meaning that evolves but is —after months— still true to where I began.

By contrast when I sketch from imagination in this way I have only vague ideas of the story or the composition and I let it unfold organically.

In this drawing I had a loose idea of what I wanted the figures to do but then as I began I decided that the planned four figure group should become a two figure group and the rough story I had in mind changed.

I like this challenge and working this way because it’s very freeing when you can take a piece wherever it seems to want to go. Like a doodle. I have the luxury of not having to commit to anything and I’m really enjoying that.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 303 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.