[COMPLETED] Joshua’s 100 Day Challenge: 1 Daily Drawing from Imagination

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge [COMPLETED] Joshua’s 100 Day Challenge: 1 Daily Drawing from Imagination

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 303 total)
  • Author
    Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Day 75: tweaking checking adding… the mouth corners seemed 0ff to me but after checking and re checking them I’m realizing it was just my intuition that was off. Many surprises here:

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Deborah,

Good to know. I’ll keep at it here, and see what I can come up with. I don’t see as much value if it works, but it’s insanely difficult to use, so I have to find a way to compress and simplify the information.

Lucas, yeah, it would have to be “compressed.” I would need to determine not only how to find a point but what is the simplest and fastest way to get there and which lines are necessary and which can be omitted.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo.
    Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks Joshua. It’s just dawned on me why this is familiar. I did a couple of architecture subjects last year and one assignment we did was to draw plan, section and elevation views of a fruit or vegetable (of all things!), then use those drawings to create an axonometric drawing. I came up with something similar where I put it (I did a pumpkin/squash) in a gridded cube, broke it down into layers and mapped contours, then used them to build it up in 3D. Thus I did my final drawing without reference. I could email what I did to you if you’d be interested in seeing – it includes all of my process work. I don’t know why I didn’t think of it before. A 3D model or images showing sections through the head may be one option for making your process more understandable and achievable for others to follow and use. I can’t see why the same process wouldn’t work in perspective (axons by definition ignore perspective). I’m not sure if this is of any interest, but, just in case it is, I thought I’d mention it.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by Debbie H.
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Day 76: experimenting with this more, trying to see if my placements are believable

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Deborah, yeah, I’d love to see that. You could post it here in my thread.

That’s the same idea. Mapping contours in 3D space. The only difference is that I’m looking for a repeatable construction approach, rather that a bespoke one for one occasion.

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks Joshua! Sorry I’m about to clog up your feed – there’s five photos and I’ll upload them individually. I’m interested in whether there’s anything of use in this process. It’s got me thinking too.

Photo 1: Original plan, section and elevation drawings

D Harback Pumpkin

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Photo 2: Axonometric Final drawing

D Harback Axon

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Photo 3: Process 1

D Harback Axon Process 1

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Photo 4: Process 2

D Harback Axon Process 2

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Photo 5: Process 3

D Harback Axon Process 3

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Day 77:

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Deborah, those are awesome.

I notice you’re using sections that are oriented to the world axes.

I do this roughly with the sagittal section of the head right/left and I do it with a transverse section for the cranium.

But the other construction lines don’t align with only one Cartesian axis but move through them like the jaw or the brow. So instead of plotting an entire section I’m finding points in space and connecting them. But this makes me wonder if there aren’t more useful sections on these main axis I could find.

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Joshua. That’s true. To find a line such as the jawline, you’re connecting points across multiple planes and axes, but if there are points that could be plotted along the length of the curve and not just the end points, it would make getting those curves accurate more achievable. There would be a perfect balance to produce a gridded cube that has enough planes on all three axes to be able to plot the points required without it being so impossibly complex that it’s unmanageable.

Does the 3D model employ perspective as you rotate it or do the measurements stay constant regardless of view? If they stay constant, its accurate mapping would make it a great tool for this. The sagittal and transverse sections are crucial, but the ability to take multiple sections along all axes will give access to the interior points you need for the curves. I looked up MRI sections of the head but could only come up with brain sections, thus they show the skull down to the base of the brain, but not below. I think the 3D model you’ve already developed would be incredibly useful.

You’ve got me inspired now – do you mind if I have a play with the concept too? I’ll try; you keep producing the masterpieces!

JessicaJessica
    Participant
    No points.

Very Inspiring!  I hope to be able to put onto paper/canvas the ideas in my mind as beautifully as you are able.

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Deborah,

“ axes, but if there are points that could be plotted along the length of the curve and not just the end points, it would make getting those curves accurate more achievable.”

Yes, that’s what I’m doing for all of these curves. I plot only the points I need, then I connect them. The idea is to do it with the fewest point possible to reproduce any head.

“ Does the 3D model employ perspective as you rotate it or do the measurements stay constant regardless of view?”

It’s built in perspective at all times. So the points do not have consistent distances from one another on the picture plane. Their relationships can only be established by plotting.

“ multiple sections along all axes will give access to the interior points you need for the curves”

Yes I do that in some places and I’m considering adding more. The caveats are: 1. It’s more complex for artists to have to memorize more complex shape patterns 2. Those sections don’t necessarily have easily repeatable characteristics.

Pierre della Francesca and other Italian Renaissance artists did heads that way, with section spans. I’ve done this myself and found useful but a bit unwieldy. My attempt to establish and plot these curves is intended to be an improvement on that method.

These were areas of active study during the Renaissance. I encourage you to test them on on your own!

Jessica, thank you!

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 303 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.