[COMPLETED] Joshua’s 100 Day Challenge: 1 Daily Drawing from Imagination

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge [COMPLETED] Joshua’s 100 Day Challenge: 1 Daily Drawing from Imagination

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 303 total)
  • Author
    Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I understand about repeatable characteristics being an issue. As far as it being complex, I suspect that those of us who enjoy detailed construction don’t mind a bit of complexity, but yes, it does need to be manageable. I’m really interested in your process and solutions. I hadn’t realised that it was part of renaissance study, though it seems obvious now that you mention it. The renaissance was gold. Besides della Francesca’s diagrams, which renaissance artists have you found particularly helpful for your style of construction and drawing? Current artists? Did you create your own sections or can you recommend a source? I will work on this – I find it fascinating as well as its being a powerful tool. There is so much to learn and I’d be really interested if you do decide to teach this. Once again, NMA is incredible. I am so thankful for all that you offer. Thank you for taking the time to discuss this with me. I greatly appreciate and value your time.

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Day 78: starting a new head today. Color coding the construction lines for more clarity.

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Deborah,

I’ve studied the Old Masters quite a bit but I am not basing this work on any other system. I’m using my knowledge of anatomy and proportion to come up with my own solution to the problem. Some of the research that’s lead me to this I did back in 2012 when I created the anatomy head and planes of the head reference models you can find in the 3D area and some of it is more recent, through my teaching and personal explorations. I’ve been doing a lot of work from imagination and I’m considering developing ways to make it easier to teach that to students.

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hence why you’re a New Master 🙂. I’ve spent the last week or so drawing from your 3D head model. It’s brilliant and is helping me tremendously with my study. You’ve done a staggering amount of work on so many fronts – it’s really inspirational. I’m travelling back to see my family in the morning (it’s evening here now) to help out for the weekend, as my dad is deteriorating rapidly. Thus I may need to be absent from the challenge for the weekend, but I’ll do catch up work and I’ll keep up with your progress with great interest.

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Haha. For the record the “New masters” has always been intended to refer to our students, the masters of tomorrow. I’m so glad you’re getting a lot out of NMA, and I’m sorry to hear about your father.

Day 79:

Here are the initial curves I plot.

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Day 80: more development. Adding new points and curves.

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Day 81: I tried to use this construction (with some tweaks) to draw my wife.

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Having some fun drawing Austrian Trachten zöpfe. Day 82

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Day 83: having some fun digital painting over my earlier imagination head.

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Day 84: here a second session on this. I don’t love it but at least the illusion is working. It is remarkable when you consider it’s just a box in perspective filled with a lot of my ideas and memories of what a head looks like:

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Day 84: here’s another softer painting test

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Day 85: I decided to go back to the drawing board and contain more information in my construction curves.

Drawer12345
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

<!–more–>your first piece has renaissance feel to it and it came together nicely. A lot of nice gestural flow between the figures leading the eye

Drawer12345
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

The head studies look nice. I love the soft painting style

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 303 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.