[COMPLETED] Joshua’s 100 Day Challenge: 1 Daily Drawing from Imagination

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge [COMPLETED] Joshua’s 100 Day Challenge: 1 Daily Drawing from Imagination

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 303 total)
  • Author
    Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Day 65. Today I had to draw all day for work. I can’t really talk about what it is since it’s unannounced but by the time I could do my challenge this evening my brain was totally fried. I thought I would just have fun and do something abstract like a forest fire. Tomorrow it will be back to the “serious” stuff!

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Paul, thanks for the suggestions. I’ve been thinking about doing something on drawing from imagination for artists but I haven’t landed on anything specific. It seems to me that most artists want to draw whatever they can dream up but so many end up giving up on that goal. There are very few books or videos or courses that deal with the subject of drawing representational art from imagination. It’s implied or mentioned briefly but it is rarely taught. That’s a strange disconnect to me.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo.
    PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Yes, Joshua, I’m one of those artists. I have thoughts of what I’d like to do, from my imagination, but I’ve spent so many years using reference that I simply don’t know how to work without it. (and believe me I’ve tried). Watching your process has amazed, intimidated and inspired me. It’s been a real gift for you to share your process these last couple of months. However, maybe because I’m a bit older, I love books. I like holding them and thumbing through them and highlighting text or sticking post-it notes on particular pages etc. But I also really love the videos offered by NMA. That’s why I watch the videos but I also bought Steve Huston’s drawing book and Glenn Vilppu’s Drawing Manual.

What you’re doing here is, as far as I know, absolutely unique. That’s pretty rare these days. I’ve been collecting and studying art instruction books for over 30 years, everything from Andrew Loomis to Ted Kautsky, to Disney Imagineers to the Famous Artist’s course and many others but none of them have presented a process the way you have. I urge you to share it with as many aspiring artists as possible.

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Day 66: I’m continuing work on this drawing.

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Day 67: did a bit of work on the head and hair.

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Day 68: drawing of a head from imagination using the box.

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I love how expressive this figure is. Awesome work 🙂.

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Thank you, Bryan. Been following you as well. Keep up the good work. Your progress is obvious.

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Day 69: More testing of a box drawing method I’m working on.

Same box, new imagination head

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Day 70:Getting better at this new approach. I think it might be useful enough to use moving forward.

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Paul, thanks for the encouragement. For now I’ll keep at it and if the need to do a book or video becomes overwhelming I’ll succumb. I’m having a blast experimenting and making progress on this in the mean time. Lately I’ve been using perspective to plot the armatures upon which I’m building these heads

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo.
    PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

What’s the “Box drawing method” you’re referring to?

Ramona
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I haven’t been in this thread for a while, but your entries never fail to amaze me, Joshua! Really inspiring, thanks for joining this challenge as well!

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Thank you, Ramona! Paul, it’s a method I’ve been developing where you essentially plot out the major points of the head from the inside out (within the confines of the box) and then draw more organically over the top of that. The idea is that with this method you can draw any head (if you know the profile and front views) from reference or imagination from any angle with very little chance for failure.

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Day 71: Took my method further than ever today really plotting the heck of out of this head. It seems to pay off, doesn’t it?

I had an idea that this may get used as an illustration in the future ergo the copyright.

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 303 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.