Isabella’s 100-Day Art Challenge: Humans

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Isabella’s 100-Day Art Challenge: Humans

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 102 total)
  • Author
    Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

This looks great Isabella! It reads really clearly to me. You’ve put a lot of work into this 🙂

Isabella Borges
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks, Deborah! I liked the way it turned out after all (even with my struggles with the digital rendering), and your insights were crucial for me in the process of this drawing 😊.

I’m happy that it reads clearly. Usually, I tend to rush ou hide the areas I don’t understand in the reference, and I tried to overcome that in this one.

Isabella Borges
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 31

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Nothing looks rushed over 🙂. Glad to help. This is an interesting drawing surface! My guess is corrugated cardboard?? I would never have thought of this – it’s really interesting!

Isabella Borges
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks 😊 !

I’m using a pad of ribbed kraft paper. I like its color and the strength of the pages, I can draw on it with charcoal, ink, and gouache for example.

Isabella Borges
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 32

Some sketches where I try to see the structure in the reference images.

Also, I decided to include here the drawing I made for the Instagram challenge. I liked to draw it and how it turned out, even though the reference was quite small.

Isabella Borges
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 33

Isabella Borges
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 34

Christopher
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Isabella,

I now I’m late to the party. Even if I already looked at your thread a few times I just went through the whole thing again just to catch up and I don’t even know where to start 😅

First of all I do think there’s already a noticable improvement in your overall work. Your skulls are a good example for that. I also really like the diversity of your work, especially considering that it’s still all about humans.

I think your rendering skills are already pretty good so I agree with some of the other comments that your focus should lean a bit more towards accuracy, mileage and structure.

Most of your drawings, especially the head drawings, look like they are pretty small so I would suggest mixing it up and trying to do some bigger ones. At least I found it to be much easier that way to practise structure. Imagine sculpting a complex figure with just a tiny bit of clay against a big chunk of it. For me a larger scale equals more space to add and remove things of your drawings.

Anyway I think you’re are doing a good job so keep at it! 👍👋

Isabella Borges
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Christopher,
    Thank you for your feedback! I loved to read your thoughts on my work here 😊 . It’s been a fantastic experience to do this challenge and receive advice from everyone; it helped me a lot to improve during this time.

My goal is to be able to draw all kinds of people and convey life and expression. But I see that I have to slow down a little and really study structure, develop accuracy, draw smaller portions of the body, etc. In the last few days, I went back to drawing things I was more comfortable with, even though I tried to apply the knowledge I gained from drawing the skull. But now, I started to watch some more lessons on construction, to help me see the structure in the face more clearly, and I want to start working on those essential areas I need to.
    I also liked your advice regarding the size of my drawings. It was something I noticed before but always went back to drawing small.

Isabella Borges
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 35

Today I made notes while watching Steve Huston’s lesson on eye construction and did some of the assignments.
    (Excuse the crumpled paper, it was a little accident before taking the picture 😅)

Isabella Borges
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 36

Today I watched more lessons on structure and made very loose sketches to grasp the concepts.

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

These look really good Isabella! Your eye structure is reading really clearly, especially in this last post. I agree with Christopher about working larger. I’m finding that too – there’s just no room to move in a small head. Keep up the good work 🙂

Isabella Borges
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks, Deborah! You and Christopher are right; it makes a lot of difference to study on a larger scale. I’m still getting used to it.

I didn’t think it could be so hard, but working larger makes me face the areas I need to understand, and it’s not always a comfortable feeling, but I know its necessary.

Isabella Borges
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

So, in the past few days, I did sketch some things for this challenge, drawing the head structure from imagination. However, I thought they turned out quite ugly, and I was embarrassed to show them here 😩. That, added to indisposition due to allergies I’ve been having these days, refrained me from posting.

But after getting a little better in health, I decided to post some of my ugly attempts, as they are also part of this journey.

Day 37,38,39
    Those are sketches I made to test an idea. I wanted to make something like a head turn, keeping the features and volume, understanding the forms as 3D elements, and train drawing the same face from imagination in different positions.
    In this first attempt, I think the heads were fine individually, but they don’t look from the same person.

More “ugly sketches.” 😬😂

https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.forum.nma.art/773686/cvb3sngxdf60fioijtnma2zpas7amjl4.jpg

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 102 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.