Isabella’s 100-Day Art Challenge: Humans

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Isabella’s 100-Day Art Challenge: Humans

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 102 total)
  • Author
    Isabella Borges
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi! For this challenge, I decided to focus on things related to the human form. It can be portraits, costumed/draped figure, gesture, anatomy studies, master copies or Bargue plates, for example, depending on the time that I’ll have avaliable on that day, or the classes that I’m taking.
    I hope to improve my drawing skills and in the future be able to draw things from imagination with more confidence.

For day 1 I painted some studies in black and white gouache on toned watercolor paper, using photos found on unsplash as reference:

Gouache studies in black and white on toned watercolor paper

Isabella Borges
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 2

Today I worked on a new self-portrait

Sketch of my self portrait

Isabella Borges
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 3
    Watched some of Vilppu lessons in the course Dynamic Gesture Drawing and did the assignments

Gesture drawingsGesture drawing assignment

Isabella Borges
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 4
    More of figure drawing, and struggle with box forms. It’s still hard for me to see the three-dimensionality of my drawings.

Collage of my studies, gesture and box forms

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Nice work so far Isabella. Good self portrait.

Isabella Borges
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks, Bryan!
    It was a sketch for my first portrait in oils, and I was very pleased with the result – especially considering that I’m not used to drawing with charcoal. But the actual painting stage is waaay more challenging, so it will probably take a while. 😅

Isabella Borges
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 5
    I carefully studied the basic procedure taught by Vilppu, using different colours for each stage: 1-Gesture, 2-Spheres and Box Forms, 3-Cylinders.
    After that, I think I could get more of the 3D form in my drawings.

Figure studies from day 5

Isabella Borges
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 6

I worked a bit more on box forms

Isabella Borges
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 7

Marjolein P
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Good box drawings. 😋 I like that you do all figure drawing stages on top of each in different colors. Though it does make it a bit hard to see. Have you tried doing them next to each other?

Isabella Borges
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks! I was doing the stages like the lessons and tried to emphasize the ones I was focusing on (box, cylindrical forms, etc). But I think doing some studies side by side as you said could be a nice approach as well.

Isabella Borges
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 8
    Some sketches of faces (References from Quickposes and Unsplash).

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Nice work with the boxes. For the head drawings, my advice is to focus more on the structures of the head first then the features.

Isabella Borges
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks for the advice, Joshua! That’s definitely something I need to work on.

Day 9
    I started to draw an Asaro head following the Russian Drawing lessons. It’ll need some corrections, but I hope to finish it tomorrow.

Isabella Borges
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 10

I didn’t have much time today, only to make corrections and advance the base drawing some more.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 102 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.