Bryan’s 100 Day Challenge: Figure Drawing in Oil Pastels

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Bryan’s 100 Day Challenge: Figure Drawing in Oil Pastels

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 281 total)
  • Author
    Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 61. Another day with serious time constraints because it was very hot outside and my model/wife was very uncomfortable. Still needs a lot of work on the details, but it looks a little better than yesterday. 

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 62. I’m taking a break today from painting out in the heat. Instead, I used my iPad to paint this study of Durer’s “Venetian Lady.” It doesn’t look much like the original, but I was mostly focused on trying to improve my painting skills at details of eyes, noses, and mouths.  

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 63. Another busy and hot day today. I completed this master study of a Sargent portrait on the iPad. 

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Bryan. I’m back 🙂. How long do these digital portraits take you? I think you’ve done a really super job of them and the painting of your wife is lovely! The eyes and nose of the Venetian Lady portrait are great. I’ve just tried a nose in this 3/4 view and it’s not at all easy to do.

When does the weather start to cool down for you? Hopefully soon!

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you Deborah 🙂. The digital paintings take about 2 1/2 hours each. Close to an hour to get the drawing right, and then an hour and a 1/2 to paint. It’s nice to do a quick study without having to get out all the materials to do a physical painting, especially in this heat. I do feel like this app helps me practice/improve. I had to give up on the portrait of my wife because she couldn’t stand the temperature. I’m going to have to figure out a better solution on where to paint next summer.

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

The weather doesn’t cool down till late October, and we are in danger for hurricanes until then also. The winter is mild and beautiful here though.

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 64. I did a quick study of an Ingres painting today using the iPad. This one was challenging. Still needs a bunch of work to get it to look close to the original, but this is all I have time for today. 

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Gosh, that’s a while to wait (till October). Our nights are down to 2-3 degrees C now. July and August are our most miserable months, so though we’re in opposite seasons, we seem to be sharing our least favourite weather! I don’t really mind winter. We have a fire going which is always cheerful 🙂.

This painting will be good with some more time spent on it. Seeing as it’s digital, can you rotate her a little to the right? Her balance is falling to the left. I know she’s leaning that way, but she seems to me to be leaning too far. Keep going 👍🏻

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you Deborah. I actually didn’t notice she was leaning until you said something🙂 I was a little distracted yesterday. The Art set app doesn’t be quite as good for measuring and editing as some of the other apps, but I like how it makes paint look realistic.

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 65. I started on a self portrait underdrawing this afternoon. Not too much of a likeness yet, but I’ll make some adjustments as I paint. I was too busy today to get a lot done. 

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 66. Self portrait progress. It is hard to get the colors right with the dramatic lighting, but I like how this one is developing. 

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 67. Busy day today, so I didn’t have much time to paint. 

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I like the dramatic lighting. Are you painting from a photo or looking in a mirror? Have you fully switched over to oil paint?

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks Deborah 🙂 This one still needs a bunch of work. I’m working from a photo. I just took a picture of myself and used a dramatic lighting filter on my iPad. I need to change the expression a bit to match the photo. Maybe soon I will get brave enough to try a mirror 🙂 This is all oil paint. I maybe didn’t put enough medium on the neck and that’s why it looks like it has a lot of texture. I doesn’t look like that extreme in real life though

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 68. Experimenting with my self portrait with different color schemes using the art set digital app today because my oil painting needs time to dry. 

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 281 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.