Bryan’s 100 Day Challenge: Figure Drawing in Oil Pastels

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Bryan’s 100 Day Challenge: Figure Drawing in Oil Pastels

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 281 total)
  • Author
    Iliya MirochnikIliya Mirochnik
    Participant
    Instructor Badge
    No points.

Hi Bryan,

Alright, so I think this last portrait is downright awesome! I even downloaded the app immediately after seeing this because if paint can be handled so expressively in a digital medium, I want it! But it’s not the app that took me there, it’s this piece! I think your use of the medium is so clean and precise that I couldn’t resist giving it a show myself.

I honestly think that maybe you should allow some of the cleaner more solid application of colors in this sketch to wander back into your traditional work. I can see the similar paint handling and application but I really think that working in some lighter, cleaner, cooler tones could be good. Also, I would try an even further distribution of edge softness and hardness, sometimes painting them a little more deliberately. Also, that dark burgundy on the left Naso-labial fold (the crease that runs from the nose to the corner of the mouth) might be a little too chromatic and either needs a partner or to be slightly dimmed down.

Also, I don’t know if this is a valid criticism, because it might be completely deliberate, but there is something either mannered or accidental about the consistently large eyes, so it would be nice to maybe get some variation in there, in terms of size, development, polish, etc both within individual pieces as well as between pieces .

Keep up the awesome work!

Iliya

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 69. Happy 4th to all my American friends on here. I worked on a bit more of the digital art today, drawing/painting a quick portrait of my wife.

Thank you Illiya for the feedback. Your encouragement means the world to me. I am trying to develop a style by experimenting so much with the digital art, so thank you for confirming that I’m moving in the right direction. I think I just paint the eyes as I see them 🙂, and I guess I see them larger than they really are, but I will work on getting them more accurately sized and polished.

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 70. Another digital work today. This one is a portrait of one of my favorite US presidents (based on a recent photo). I’m going to re-tone my canvas today, and start fresh on a new self portrait oil painting. 

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 7o Part 2. More digital practice with color and drawing/painting my self portrait.

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Bryan. You do have a definite style evolving and it’s very, very cool. You use really interesting and eye catching colours, particularly in the digital space. The texture of paint in the app is great. Is that something you can or would want to transfer into your oil paintings?

Just by the way, I just watched some of the program you mentioned in my feed (it’s on YouTube) – he makes it look like there’s no people here and we all live in the middle of nowhere 😆! Just so you know, we don’t 🙂! He’s right about the local produce however – it is very good.

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you Deborah🙂 Yes, hopefully I’ll be able to start oil painting like I do on the app, at least that is the goal 🙂 It just takes a lot of discipline and planning because the app blends beautiful colors for me, but in physical paintings I have to figure out how to get those colors mixed on my palette. I’m working towards it 🙂 I know I can do better drawings on the physical canvas because it is hard to measure on the app, so I think my physical paintings have the potential to be even better once I master some of the technical skills of color mixing.

Yeah, I figured the show went to the most remote places on the Island. Beautiful scenery though 🙂

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 71. More digital art practice today. I’m trying to decide what to paint on my physical canvas.

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

It seems like the digital and physical versions of the medium are each allowing you to explore and develop different skills, which is great. If you get to know what colours you want out of the oil paint, it will only be a matter of time and practice before you can mix them. Knowing what you want is a huge chunk of the puzzle. Looking forward to what you do next 🙂

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks Deborah🙂

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 72. Working on the drawing of myself in profile today before I start painting. 

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 73. I had a decent likeness for a bit, and then I lost it. I’ll try to fix it tomorrow.

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

This is great! All your head and torso proportions, colours and shadows look really good 🙂👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks Deborah 🙂. I made a few corrections since I took this photo, such as making the eye a bit smaller, the front part of the neck a bit wider, and sharpened the nose a bit. Getting a likeness is tough.

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Well, yes, when the person you’re drawing is as familiar to you as yourself 😆! Don’t be too hard on yourself!

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 74. I got back a pretty good likeness after a few more hours of work. Tomorrow I’ll try to work on the details.
    Thanks for the encouragement Deborah 🙂 

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 281 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.